Technical fiat 128 engine swap

ahmed_mahdy2003

hi i have a fiat 128
and i want to swap a 1500cc engine sohc into it
what is the best engine from fiat/lancia models
and how can i know it without dismantling the engine
also is there any modifications to the car required for this swap
iam not really a fast driver

I have done this conversion to 2 of my previous 128 coupes. If you can find a 1500 engine used in the fiat strada or ritmo, all you would need to do is fit your 128 engine mounts, and it will bolt straight into your 128 engine bay. You could also use the x1/9 engine, which is the same engine, but has a different sump and oil pick-up. I understand that this is because the engine leans at an angle in the x1/9 bay, so would recommend using the strada type sump and oil pick-up to ensure no oil starvation! Note-the 128 oil pump and pick-up is apparantly different, so I suggest you don't swap them over! I fitted electronic ignition from the uno 1300, and fitted a fast road cam and weber 34dmtr carb, and it went like the wind! I also tried twin weber carbs, but found that the car lost all driveability for everyday driving, being either stop/or flat out, which is no fun. You could even use the lancia delta 1500 sohc, as it is also the same engine, again, utilising the 128 mounts. You may want to use the 5 speed gearbox from the strada/ritmo/delta, as the 128 4 speed is too low geared really. The gearbox bolts straight in, with very minor mods to drive shaft ends. 128 gear linkage can be used, but you will have to 'press down' to change from 4th to 5th, which is a bit quirky but still worthwhile imo.

hi,
think on lancia delta engine 1500 with its gearbox, just go ahead!!!
In my country (Croatia), that procedure is quite common for all guys who have fiat 128, zastava 101, yugo 45/55/60, because engine fits as original one, no adjustment to make under the bonnet, except to new exhaust system. 115BHP in small car is very hot. . . . Guys with BMW 3 series will have difficulties with you. :devil:

what about swaping a punto 1.4 turbo gt engine can it fit in fiat 128??
i think with this engine it will be so hotttt..... this engine gives a 130BHP right?

Re: fiat 128 engine swap-Turbo engine

This has also been done already in the Uk by 1 or two people, albeit the uno turbo variant 1301 and 1372 version. Yes it can be done but there is a fair amount of work with wiring harness etc. The engine itself will bolt in utilising the 128 mounts. I'm not sure whether the 128 gearbox was retained or not in those cases, but if it is used, it would need strengthening internally to take all the extra torque. I believe some of the uno turbo internals can be used inside the 128 casing, otherwise special drive shafts in order to use the turbo gearbox. Hope this helps. :) If you are not needing too much power, I would stick with the 1500cc engine which is a very easy fitment though.

Re: fiat 128 engine swap-Turbo engine

I would stick with the 1500cc engine which is a very easy fitment though.
with 1500cc engine from ritmo or rgatta will give only 75-85hp
not like 105hp from uno or 130 from punto gt:( ....
i will not do that swapping for only 75 hp only that(n)
how could i know the diffrent bettwen the uno engine without turbo and the uno engine with turbo???the same for punto and punto gt with turbo....
i mean there are aturbo inside engine or it is like any normal turbo outside?
i hope you understand my qustion:confused:

Believe me, if you fit a 1500cc engine, you will notice a big power difference. This engine fitted with only a Weber 34dmtr carb gives 85 bhp, which was standard on the super strada 85. It isnt all about bhp either, you will have a considerable gain in torque. If you then fit a hotter camshaft, you will be quickly up to 95-97 bhp. These mods are both cheap and easy to carry out, as opposed to the turbo conversion. A turbocharged engine will have a plenum chamber, turbo fitted to the manifold etc. The non turbo engines came with both single point injection and multi point injection, depending on the model concerned ie, the uno 1.4 70sx had multi point, whereas the uno start 1.4 came with single point as far as I remember. (in UK anyway) My 1500cc engine pushes out 173bhp in race spec, so don't underestimate this engine ;)

Hey im currently trying to put a lancia 2.0l dohc motor in my 128 sl just another option but fitting the 1500 engine is much less work it all depends on how far you want to go i guess.
Happy Fiating

How about fitting the 2000cc DOHC from the Ritmo/ Strada 130TC Abarth with its gearbox? whats the work needed in the engine bay?

Im going for a 182.a4.000 1.6 16valve brava motor and box in my 128 sl. Im looking at dry sumping and turboing it to. Should make it quite entertaining.

Hi!
Im from Guatemala

I have an engine 128A, where i can get an Fiat/Lancia SOHC 1.6..?

Here in Guatemala it doesnt exist that engine..

Good Luck with your swap! (y)

Regards!

The brava/marea 1.6 is essentially a sohc unit but with the tohc head and more valves. :) They had to change some of the oil passages about in the block so you cant bolt the head onto an earlier block. Best thing about them though is anything that had the sohc motor can have the 1.6 put into it with no problems, mounts everything are a swap over job.

For what i can gather the sohc engines are all very similar, even the later dedra 1.6's. Theres alot of guys on turbo124 site that have all different incarnations in x1/9's and 128's etc. I know a guy in christchurch NZ that has a 128sl to with an uno turbo motor in it but its had the turbo removed and a toyota supercharger put on to it, runs different injection setup and computer and puts down 160 bhp to the wheels. Tidy beast to.

Hello there and cheers! You look like you really know your stuff! I am working on a 1976 128 coupe in the NW corner of the USA. Parts and info here are very limited. I am wanting to put a uno turbo in. What does that entail? Do you use the same gearbox? Will it bolt in? In the meantime I am wanting to bolt in an x 1/9 engine and am wondering how I can modify the oil pump to work. Should I weld a longer /differently angled piece on the pickup? If I use the pump and pan from the 128 on the x 1/9 engine, will it work? Once again, parts are limited and I am pretty handy with a MIG. Thanks for your help in advance, I am excited to chat with other people who dig these cars!

Back