General Cigarette lighter not working.

Currently reading:
General Cigarette lighter not working.

pji

Hi,

I rarely use the cigarette lighter but as I went to use it to power a small light I found that it has stopped working. Not sure how long it has been like this. I am thinking it may be a fuse?

But have no idea which one it is...they all *seem* fine. The car is a 1999 Punto 1.2i ELX (3 door).

Anyone help?

Thanks,

Paul

Stereo is working fine and I have not touched it in years...

Thanks.

Paul

Also takes out the roof clock and interior lights (inc boot light) central door lock/unlock power etc.

The fuse is 4th from left on the top row.

Fuse box behind oddment tray, drivers side, right of the steering wheel.

Otherwise you might just have to wiggle the connector in there to get it to work.

Last edited:
Thanks... so how easy is it to change?

Do I have to dismantle anything or can it be changed from the front?

Paul

I found it to be a massive ballache trying to remove the lighter without breaking anything in the gt style center console, piece of **** in the standard s/sx ashtray though :)

First things first, make sure it's not a loose connection. Waggle the wire from the back, make sure it's pushed right the way in, there's a retaining clip there iirc, so you'll know when it's safely in place.

If this doesn't solve your problem, take out the entire ashray section of the console (4 screws underneath i think) and THEN remove the lighter socket. Don't try doing it while the ashtray's still in place, makes life more difficult!

Try bending the flexible metal a bit, can fix the problem ;) Need to shape it so that it's not too tight (can't push plug in) and not too loose (plug doesn't flop out). As with many things in life, getting an opening with the perfect tightness to push things into can be difficult.

edit - elx? that's got the nice console right? You'll need to remove the allen key bolts near the handbrake to get that off then. Still easier than trying to fiddle about with it when it's stuck in place imo.

Thanks all.

It appears not to be a fuse as I checked them all and everything else is working fine. I will try MrDT's suggestion after lunch. I hope its just a loose connection..

Fingers crossed!

Paul

Back