Technical Front Wipers Don't Stop Properly.

Currently reading:
Technical Front Wipers Don't Stop Properly.

GavN

Hi all.

Before I start I should say this was my fault.

I work out in the Czech Rep and things are cold just now. I brought my car over last summer from the UK. Anyway I started the car yesterday morning and the wipers were frozen to the windscreen and I had left them switched on :eek:(

To keep it short, they still work (wipe) but they now don't seem to know where to stop when switched off! When I switch them off they stop where they are, half way, vertical, in the middle (said that already). Also the intermittent switch doesn't work intermittently anymore, just repeatedly like the other setting.

I had a quick look yesterday after work but the wiper motor looks a bitch to get at!

Anyone any sugestions on the problem or wiper motor access?

Cheers,

GavN

Doesn't sound like it'd be the motor thats the problem. Motors are pretty simple they either work, or they don't. I don't know if they have sensors to tell where the window wipers are, but if they do that would probably be where ur problems lies

sig1.jpg

That's what I'm thinking. I also need to replace my rear wiper motor as it had siezed during the time I left it in Scotland and brought it over and the plastic teeth has been broken off.

The front one just doesn't know when it's in the minimal position anymore which as you suggest must be the sensor, just don't know how to get at it. When I had a look the motor (and sensor) appears to be behind a bulkhead behind the battery. Not easy to access so wondering now if anyone can suggest how I get at the thing...

Cheers,

GavN

I presume your car is left hand drive, but on the right hand drive cinq the wiper motor is below the windscreen at our nearside, or your drivers side.

The motor is fine because its working, but inside the gearbox at the top of the motor, is a gearwheel with electrical contacts on it to indicate where the wiper should park. These are burnt out as you left the motor switched on without it moving.

As far as I am aware, the gear is not available as a part so its time for a new motor.

Cheers

D

Grumpy old git going fast downhill rather than downhill fast!!

Cheers D,

Should have said it's an Sei sporting I've got and it's righthand drive. Brought it over from Scotland.

I seen the electrical contacts on the rear wiper motor. Oh well I'm going to put it in for a service next week so there is something else for the list. Still it's about 1/3 the price as back home :eek:)

Thanks for the info.

Cheers,

GavN

I had this prob on my old Cinq SX. Get to your wiper motor and check all connections and that the relay is firing.

Smurfhead - would trade as Gaz but bit confusing with another guy with the same car on here with the same name. lol

Seicento Sporting (2001)

I can sort this right here right now..... and bet £50 this is what's the problem.. The motor itself is fine, just the running gear of the motor itself is the problem and can be fixed easy peasy......

The motor has a little plastic box attatched to it (where the cable plugs in) and a plastic disc in the running gear of the motor. On the plastic disc are copper tracks that 3 springloaded prongs (from the plastic box) run on these tracks.

1 Prong provides constant current, 2nd provides the intermittent wipe current, and 3rd provides "always on" current. The disc does not have a continuous track for intermittent as the wiper moter needs to stop when they reach the bottom of the windscreen.

When the wipers have been left on, chances are the circuit has burnt out inside the plastic box due to the overload in current used while the wipers were frozen stuck.

Take a look in the plastic box (on the wiper motor), solder a piece of wire over the burnt circuit ends and bobs your uncle! Working Wiper!!

Let us know how you get on!

sig.jpg

Ok,

General consensus seems to be the sensor attached to the motor.

OK, I have no worries about fixing it but my question for those familular with this car is how do you get at the motor? Once I know this I'll get round to fixing it I hope.

Also Smurfhead mentioned a relay but I assume this is triggered from the sensor but could someone confirm.

Oh yeah, and Brickfoot if it's not that I'll give you my bank account details for the £50! :)

Cheers,

GavN

definately £50 to me then!

to remove the motor, first take off the wiper linkages from the motor (the bars that move the wipers), then undo the 2 bolts holding the motor in place, after that, it's just a case of remving the electrical connector and that's it!

sig.jpg

Otherside on Cinq!

Be quite surprised it its on the opposite in a Sei.
Behind cover behind passenger side firewall.

Tom (AofB)

Snapped exhaust flexipipe becoming GrpN ASAP!

Cool.

I'll get a look tomorrow. I knew it was behind the firewall but couldn't see what side and sods law says I would pick the wrong side first...

Thanks for the help and I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

GavN

i just sorted problem with wipers not stopping. i Repaired burned track on circuit board. But this did not sort problem with intermittent control.
wipers either work continuous or don't work at all. I tested wires in connector with multimeter and on wire closest to ground wire i dont get 12v when wipers are set to intermittent (i get 12v when set on continuous . is there any relay or something under dash? or the problem is in circuit board on wiper motor?

Back