Technical Rear Door handles.

Currently reading:
Technical Rear Door handles.

I have a 5 Door :p Punto mk1, but the rear passenger door handle stays in an open position unless pushed down manually.

When u pop a door open normally the handle returns to the normal position but not anymore, this doesn't seem too much of a hastle but it means the catch doesn't engage unless it is forced to. So when I pick a mate up and he just hops in, he shuts the door and it bounces open. What is in the handle that makes it return, i thought maybe a spring might have gone.

I hate doing stuff to my car unless it is necessary (like sound equipment:D :D ) so I thought i would ask before taking my door apart.

Sounds like the door handle spring is broken for my mk2 it was tricky to repalce the handle you have to take off the inner door panel remove the water tight plastic cover then you have to drilll out some rivets before getting acces to the handle securing bolts and the kink rod from the lock assembly... :bang: I dont know whats its like on mk1 maybe easier.. ?

Hi there, if the handle does not drop back down it may be seized? try spraying some wd40 up into the hinges of the handle, back ones don't get as much use as the front it might just fix it?.

Hope this helps.

Trevor.

Trevor said:
Hi there, if the handle does not drop back down it may be seized? try spraying some wd40 up into the hinges of the handle, back ones don't get as much use as the front it might just fix it?.

Hope this helps.

Trevor.

That was the 1st thing I tried, although WD40 is the answer for almost anything it doesn't solve this one.

Cheers "Punto.Power" though, I'll hack my door apart and see what happens.

How'd the door panels work? i.e. how'd you get them on and off again? screws or are they pop on/off ones?:confused: :confused: :confused:

they'l be a few bolts thru the handles in the rears, then the rest prises off with a screwdriver in special locations to prevent damage to door paint or door cards.

mk1 door locks adn all parts are bolts on with a torx 40 or torx 45 bit.

no cheap rivets here (stupid rubbish mk2s).

if you grease up the sliders that the rods run down at teh same time you'll hopefully prevent this problem returning.

you could get a working door latch/lock from a scrappy for about £4.

Fixed it:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Both springs had just fallen off where they were connected. Dunno how, looks too tight to fall off. But I just put em back where they belong, only took 20 mins in the end.

Thanks for the help guys.(y)

And Trevor..... I also sprayed it internally with WD40 to make sure:D

Back