General Overfill pipe? fuel leaking

Currently reading:
General Overfill pipe? fuel leaking

cavking

Hi,

A little help required if possible.

I have a mk1 punto75 1.2 16v.

Whilst filling the tank, when near to full, petrol will leak from the tank, this has happened a few times and is a pain in the arse, also dangerous.

The petrol attendant some it might have an over fill pipe...

Is this true? what can i do to stop this happening, as i now avoid filling the car up to the top, and just settle for £20 hear and there.

Any help will be grately appreciated

Thanks

sounds like you have a leak somewhere from the tank 2 the nossle filler hole pipe? there could be a loose connection from the pipe? if you have a look under the o/s/r wheel arch you will b able 2 see the pipe? be very carefull just incase it is loose, but give a little wiggle and inspect that section of pipe beut be very watchfull it does not come loose when you are near the tank areait could spit petrol everywhere. best done on a ramp are jack up and supported b for you go under the car? its a plastic tank and filler pipe, it is possible it could be that simple. the over fill pipe is in the filler cap section if there is one? so it would have 2 be nearly over filled (I.E over fill pipe) 2 spill ou that way...
be very carefull when doing the above? just incase it is loose and you do try 2 wiggle it. watch out just incase it comes off and spits petrol everywhere.

i also forgot 2 mention? if it is like the 55 model? try and look at the fuel filter, it is also in the same direction, under the o/s/r arch but more under the sil. they corrode like mad and also can leak petrol thuss making u think its coming from the tank.
hand that problem 2 :)

cavking said:
Hi,

A little help required if possible.

I have a mk1 punto75 1.2 16v.

Whilst filling the tank, when near to full, petrol will leak from the tank, this has happened a few times and is a pain in the arse, also dangerous.

The petrol attendant some it might have an over fill pipe...

Is this true? what can i do to stop this happening, as i now avoid filling the car up to the top, and just settle for £20 hear and there.

Any help will be grately appreciated

Thanks

Does it have or has it ever had 17" wheels?

its common for these to rub on the over fill pipe causing exactly what you are getting.

I had it on mine and it would only let me put £20 before leaking.

Teddy Danson said:
i also forgot 2 mention? if it is like the 55 model? try and look at the fuel filter, it is also in the same direction, under the o/s/r arch but more under the sil. they corrode like mad and also can leak petrol thuss making u think its coming from the tank.
hand that problem 2 :)

He said it was a 75 matey.

are they differant? the fuel setup would b the same? maybe i am wrong...
only suggesting for his help?

Thanks for you advise guys, i will try and inspect it today

I will let you know the outcome

I have taken the fuel pump plate off (under the passengers seat) and there is a black pipe running down the right hand side, this has two little small holes in it.

Around the top of the tank there is petrol residue, and the pipe is clean were the holes are..

This must be the problem.

What i can understand is how this hole have been created, there is nothing for them to rub against...

55/60 and 75 are mean't to have different fuel filter fittings,

like a quick release clip things and a 90degree bango fitting, but often they are muddled up and all cars have all setups.

just check your fuel filter clip things aren't leaking like crazy!!!

bango fittings are sound, up until you take them off, then they can crack.

Back