General P0638 Throttle Actuator Control Range

Currently reading:
General P0638 Throttle Actuator Control Range

cazzo_man

Hi,
I've been having a few problems with performance on my fiat Stilo 1.6 aircon 03. There appears to be a lag when i accelerate and when I slow down and stop - the car feels as if it's going to stall?
A short story....
I came back from a long journey (200 miles) last night - when i was 5 minutes from home the car displayed (Engine failure) and stopped. I pressed the accelerator again and nothing..(Although the car was still ticking over)
I had to re-start the car on a number of occasions to get home (making sure not to exceed 2000 rpm) nightmare..
Called the AA out and he re-set my computer with the following error?
P0638 Throttle Actuator Control Range

1. Has anyone had a similar problem?
2. If so can you suggest a solution? (as this is the 2 nd time in 3 months the cars performance has been reset)

All is fine for the time being! (Fingers crossed!)

Many thanks

Could be just a bad contacts on the throttle actuator which is why it's intermittent, it's been pretty damp lately.

Other than that it sounds like a trip to the dealer for you. Maybe you need the throttle body/ECU update which will mean going on examiner anyway to find out if you have it or to do the update. Sounds like the throttle actuator is out of synch with the gas pedal input and ECU so may need re aligning and relearning as they're not talking to one another properly

Last edited:
I also have a stilo 03 active aircon , I have just spent 600 quid on new injectors and 100 quid on coils and now I have the same issues and error code and symptoms you have discussed ..The loss of the accelerator is Dangerous!
The cars only done 40,000!
K

Last edited:
Thanks...unfortunately this is a new problem after "fixing" the open injector issue!

The ECU updates where all checked when it went in last, but I will check the connectors etc. Never had problems like this with my Strada or Punto !!

K

Just because you get this code dont mean the fault is there....you have to 'prove' (the key to any accurate diagnosis) this component is at fault as like I said elsewhere the throttle body is the weakest point on the 5v sensor circuit.
Not saying the throttle body is not at fault but I see this on a common basis & I would say more times than most the customer or other garage has changed parts cause 'the code reader said so' when the fault has been elsewhere.

Good luck & have a good read through stilo tech section for clues/ideas;)

Back