General Gear Box Change

Currently reading:
General Gear Box Change

jaspercorn

Hi all im new here so please be gentle, as with all mareas they have there times when they badly let you down but i still love mine, I have to change the gear box as it is dead has anyone changed one before and does anyone have step by step instructions. Please help!! marea 1997 2.0 20v hlx

Last edited:
Step 1, take to dealer be assured car will be ready for 5pm
step 2, At 5pm go pick up car only to be told it won't be ready till tomorrow.
step 3, go to dealer next day to be told steering rack has somehow broken. car won't be ready until day after new steering rack appears.
step 4, pick up car 5 days later! :(

Is not really bad. Is a long job though hence why it costs so much to have done.

I have just done mine on a fiat coupe 20v and all the running gear, engine and chassis etc. Are all the same.

You have to remove the sub frame bolts drop it down and then the box will come out. There is a lot to remove including wishbone etc. Not hard just time consuming. :)

bridges thanks i heard it was time that was the biggest problem but i have allowed myself the day to do it so no rush how difficult is it to get the drivers side drive shaft out and back in is it easy to get to

snap thats the job i have too as for the drive shaft passenger side 6 bolts hold it on the flange of the gearbox the other side just pulls out as you remove gearbox let us know how you get on as i havent contemplated droping subframe due you just unbolt passenger side of subframe:confused:

jimbo i have heard that you can just drop the passenger side but told it is still very tight like that so i think im going to take it right of along with the suspension aftetr talking to a mechanic from a fiat dealer this is what he would recomend so as not to damage the steering rack cause that would be expensive im not goint to attemp this till next sunday as i have the whole day to do it plus i need to get a clutch plate after all if the box is off it might as well be changed.

i got my complete clutch from fiat main dealer worked out cheaper then moter factors were i live was only 92 quid complete with the vat ,thrust bearing,preasure plate,and clutch plate (y)

Yes passenger side drive shaft is 6 allan key bolts. However I left mine in and undid the wishbone 4x 15mm bolts and the roll bar link. Will write a rough guide if you want. With the strut 2x 19mm undone and caliper removed and tied up to the dampner and spring. Then trackrod end undone. I was able to pull whole lot over.

My clutch kit Fiat valeo was about £90
I also replaced drivers driveshaft seal.

jimb0 said:
i havent contemplated droping subframe due you just unbolt passenger side of subframe:confused:

Without dropping the subframe 5 or so inches at a 45 degree angle, then the box will not squeeze past it. ;) Had a good measure up. Also by dropping, it gives you much better access to some of the components to remove at the back, engine steady mount for example. Don't worry Is suprisingly easy to drop. :)
The subframe is rigid and hence undoing one side it will still remain in place by the otherside :( tried that, I removed passengerside bolts and slackened right off all the others.

Am writing a guide on word and will cut n paste it up tomorrow. :)

bridges your a star thank you it will be a real big help do you know is it possible to just unbolt the clutch cylinder so as to avoid bleeding

Back