General Help needed with mk2 sporting, air-con and heater fan

Currently reading:
General Help needed with mk2 sporting, air-con and heater fan

Hiya,

I've just picked up a 2001 sporting and found a couple of faults. The cd changer don't work...not a biggie, will just get rid.

The air-con pipe is broken....does anyone know rough cost of getting it re-gassed?...(I know the pipe is about £40).
When the engine is on, there is a noise, like running water from under the passenger side...is this due to the broken air-con?

The other thing that is a bit of a worry is the heater fan doesn't work and when you switch it on, it turns the dashboard and head-lights on.

Any help would be great. Thanks :)

hope you didn't pay much for it!

cd changer and all the other electrical faults are possibly all related.
maybe a melted multiplug connector, or mice eaten the wiring!!:D

as for a/c I wouldn't attempt it myself, if a pressure pipe (a/c gas under a bit of pressure in there) has bust then it sure won't work, you will need the appropriate section, sounds like you've already identified and priced it. get it fitted and then get the system flushed (will be moisture and nasties in there now) and regass'd. will cost from £30-80 to get flushed and gass'd up, then it'll be frosty cold in there!!!!

your weird electrical fault with the heater fan knob doing other things, well thats just random, I think I've heard it happen before, but it worked the indicators instead:confused:
sloshing water noise, do a quick search, its been heard on quite a few mk2's. I think it was just a bit of air in the heater circuit, but since yours has a/c I wouldn't have a clue how that all works.
sorry.
if you got it from a dealer dump it back on them, if you got it privatly, hope you didn't pay much for it!

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I think we may have paid too much :( and it was private sale.
Will take it into garage on Monday and brace myself for the news.

I've also got one of my others (mk1) MOT in two weeks and I know she's gonna fail on steering :( ...I'm gonna be sooo skint!!!

Thanks for the help :)

This is on my mk1 elx.

I knew when I bought her a couple of years ago that the steering was dodgy (had an RAC check done) It's been thrown up in the past two MOT's, I can't remember without checking exactly what it was...wear to something or other.
But now she has a wobble at 70-85mph and I've had the alloys balanced again. And it has a bit of a bang on full lock....so I don't think it will go through this time.

miss*virmin said:
Hiya,

I've just picked up a 2001 sporting and found a couple of faults. The cd changer don't work...not a biggie, will just get rid.

The air-con pipe is broken....does anyone know rough cost of getting it re-gassed?...(I know the pipe is about £40).
When the engine is on, there is a noise, like running water from under the passenger side...is this due to the broken air-con?

The other thing that is a bit of a worry is the heater fan doesn't work and when you switch it on, it turns the dashboard and head-lights on.

Any help would be great. Thanks :)

Dont panic!!!!!

Re-gas/vacuum test is around £50-60
Water is system needing bleed correctly.
Heater/light problem is melted conected near heater fan,simply by-pass the thick black wire,job done(y)

Enjoy your car (y)

T14086 said:
Dont panic!!!!!

Re-gas/vacuum test is around £50-60
Water is system needing bleed correctly.
Heater/light problem is melted conected near heater fan,simply by-pass the thick black wire,job done(y)

Enjoy your car (y)

Thanks for the reply....you've made it not sound so bad :)
Will take her tomorrow and get her booked in at my local garage.

We paid a little less, due to the a/c pipe, so hopefully will still have a few pennies left for my MOT on the elx.

Update – water system had been flushed, the connector fixed, the aircon pipe is fixed and has been regassed, but now there is another problem, the compressor pump has seized... :(.

They say if I use the aircon like this the engine will cut out! Is this likely?

Update – water system had been flushed, the connector fixed, the aircon pipe is fixed and has been regassed, but now there is another problem, the compressor pump has seized... :(.

They say if I use the aircon like this the engine will cut out! Is this likely?

Heater Probelm

“simply by-pass the thick black wire, job done”

is there anyway you could expand on this pleaseeeeeee?

Thanks again

Kerr

Back