General MPG Question

Currently reading:
General MPG Question

tinman

Hi all,

Just bought a new Doblo Cargo SX 1.9JTD. Really nice vehicle but:

Fuel consumption is not quite what I'm expecting. Around town I'm getting about 38mpg (unloaded), and on a 2,500 mile run to Europe last weekend we were getting about 30mpg loaded and unloaded. Aircon seems to make maybe 2mpg difference at most.

Just seems a bit heavy on the fuel.

Anyone any ideas?

Tin

Hey Tinman,

Welcome to the forum. Ozzie will give you the official welcome but I guess he's still got his jimjams on and his mummy is letting him have a lie in.

How are you measuring your mpg? What speeds do you travel at?

speeds in europe were generally around 80mph.

strange thing was that even when were cruising higher than that - fuel stops came at very similar intervals.

i've done a bit of reading around on the forum and a few people have said that their fuel consumption only started getting better once the engine had done over 10k.

(if anyone ever sees my old Bravo, (part reg number W122), 100sx, 15" fiat alloys, big fiat rear spoiler, black - tell me. its one car i would love to get back. should never of got rid of it 3 years ago).

50mph probably isn't best when we have to do 400-600 miles per day in Europe on motorways. ;)

Alex-R said:
well i know but you can't travel along at 80 odd mph and expect to get top mpg 1 or the other

i was expecting more than 30mpg at 80mph.

Hello Tinman and welcome to the forum (y)

Niall I was in work actually plus mummy doesn't let me have lye in's ;)

Right now to the point at hand... You will see an increase in MPG as the engine wears in a bit, and that will continue for a few thousand miles. If you have one of the new engines (I think they're called multijet or something similar) then you won't get quite as good MPG as in the older 1.9JTD's anyway for a while as they seem to take longer to reach their full potential.

Doing around 100mph on the motorway I return about 46mpg, doing 70 I return about 60mpg and town driving if I'm going carefully and not flooring it I can get around 55-60mpg. This is on an engine that's done 22,000 miles usually wit 2 - 5 passengers. I don't see no difference when it's loaded up personally but I only carry 200-300kgs max so I probably wouldn't.

Also don't believe the Trip readout on the Trip computer as it's usually about 3-5mpg over what I'm actually getting. Best thing to do is a brim to brim check (y)

LUKHYGO :D

Last edited:
Ozzie1989 said:
Hello Tinman and welcome to the forum (y)

Niall I was in work actually plus mummy doesn't let me have lye in's ;)

Right now to the point at hand... You will see an increase in MPG as the engine wears in a bit, and that will continue for a few thousand miles. If you have one of the new engines (I think they're called multijet or something similar) then you won't get quite as good MPG as in the older 1.9JTD's anyway for a while as they seem to take longer to reach their full potential.

Doing around 100mph on the motorway I return about 46mpg, doing 70 I return about 60mpg and town driving if I'm going carefully and not flooring it I can get around 55-60mpg. This is on an engine that's done 22,000 miles usually wit 2 - 5 passengers. I don't see no difference when it's loaded up personally but I only carry 200-300kgs max so I probably wouldn't.

Also don't believe the Trip readout on the Trip computer as it's usually about 3-5mpg over what I'm actually getting. Best thing to do is a brim to brim check (y)

LUKHYGO :D

Don't your legs get tired with the running Fred Flintstones style :p

Steve

I dont know there's our Ozz doing his 100mph [in his jimjams and bound to get arrested soon for indecent exposure] and Steve chug chugging along at 50 mpg [yes you read that right :p ]both of you need to get a life and get a stilo :slayer:

At the mo could do with 50 MPG wheres my Punto JTD :p Stilo
vomit-smiley-026.gif

:)

Steve

Last edited:
£10 of fuel will get me between 100-150 miles as long as I'm sensible... £20 will get me 200-250... that's on Sainsburys I get an extra 40miles a tank from there.

I'm trying BP fuel at the moment though to see if my car runs better on that, and it seems to be more responsive so far (y) hopefully see improved MPG cause I'm not using my right foot so much as I don't need to on the BP fuel :)

Oh and PNL comes flying past at 120 in his Stilo getting about ooooh 18mpg :p with his dressing gown on and his false teeth in a glass on the dash :p *runs as PNL chases with large bat*

Back