General 55 sx 1.1 idle is erratic

Currently reading:
General 55 sx 1.1 idle is erratic

Bigbadtez

Hi to everyone!!!:) Right ive browsed your posts and i need a firm answer on this question.Ive just purchased a Punto 55 sx 1.1.Its a 1996 model which i think is the mk1.Its the first time ive owned a Fiat and if i dont get this sorted it will be the last i think!!When i bought the car it only came with one blue key and no red.Anyway after getting it home ive noticed it ticks over at random revs ie:900 then 1100 then 1000.I tried to clean up the throttle body and linkages and checked the throttle cable for snagging.Still got the problem.So i checked the Lambda sensor with my multi meter and found the values bouncing between 0.30 and 0.80 when warm.Is this right or should the values be different?I want to dis connect the battery to do an ecu reset but will the car start back up after without the red key?I really would appreciate your help as i am new to the Fiat world.

By the way GREAT forum and very helpfull!! :cool:

I can only answer the "reseting ecu" question. I have disconnected the battery on sereral occations on my mk1 1995 1.1 55sx and its always re-started with no problems at all using only the blue keys

Right well i disconnected the battery over night in the hope that the ecu would reset and the fault would clear.Unfortunatley for me it didnt work and i still have the same prob!The only way i can explain it is its like the choke is permantly stuck on!What is the normal revs on tickover? Thinking about a trip to the scrappers for some spare sensors!!

The Oxy sensor sounds about, from what I remember, It should dither between those voltages about 60 times per minute if working ok,(best viewed and counted on a scope). So sensor seems ok there, air leaks into manifold, varying voltage on throttle sensor, or MAP sensor faulty are possibilities. Dont forget to check valve timing, (they jump).
Tony.

Back