General 1.4 16v Starjet

Currently reading:
General 1.4 16v Starjet

siniux

How many of you have the 1.4 16v Starjet engine on your GP? How good does it handle? Is it really economic?

I've thought of creating a unique thread were we could all talk about this engine performance, consumption, durability and faults. This could act as a "FAQ" to all the new buyers, were they could ask questions and get them answered. :)

I have one question. Only Starjet engine can be found in Grande Punto or is it possible older 1.4 16V engine that is used in Stilo and Punto Mk2.5 to be found in GP?

How can I check that? I have GP Sport from May 2006 and I would like to know that.

I think that the only one possible to be found on the GP is the 1.4 16v Starjet. Sounds like the Starjet is the substitute of the older 1.4 16v engine you were talking about.

Your GP Sport is the Starjet one?

T14086 said:
Old 1.4 16v couldn't get through the latest emission legislation.
Isn't the Starjet supose to have also better consumption values?

GXbox, how does your GP do in terms of performance? And consumption values?

I wish I could tell you much about it, but since my GP is very fresh (got about 150 miles in it), I'm taking really easy with it. It's engine hasn't been above 3500, but I feel it has power. Same for consumption. Since every second road in our nice city is under construction, my average speed is about 15km/h, so my first 100km consumption is probably around 10l. :bang:

GXbox said:
Since every second road in our nice city is under construction, my average speed is about 15km/h, so my first 100km consumption is probably around 10l. :bang:
I drive in Lisbon... belive me, I know what you mean... :p

Does anyone wanna reply how does their GP do in terms of performance and consumption values?

My wife has had her car for 2 weeks and between us we have clocked up a thousand miles. On board computer says average consumption is 35 miles per gallon, and we are getting about 400 miles to a full tank. The engine performs well in low gears and has pretty good acceleration. Only week point is it is quite slow to build up speed once you get over 70 so can be a bit of a pain on the motorway.

The Trooper said:
My Punto mk2.5 1.4 Sporting gave an average of 35-36mpg which I didn't think was great for a small engine.

That is **** for a small engine and there was me thinking of down sizing to a smaller engine to save on petrol, tax and insurance! But my 1.8 averages around 33-34 :confused: ....swaying even more towards a tractor, i mean diesel now :eek:

even tho my gp 1.4 8v is the standard FIRE engine, it easilly copes with 50 - 55 mpg at LEAST when not driving like a nutter.

check your tyre pressure! makes a big difference to mpg, i checked mine the other day as i was getting poor mpg, as soon as i inflated them to the correct pressure, had a drive around and noticed increased mpg.

(y)

Yes I checked my tyre pressures! It averaged around 35.5 over 12 months. Could have been my driving, but it's a sporting and so you'd expect someone with a 'sporty' car to give it the beans every now and then. But don't get me wrong, I didn't go racing off lights all the time and wheel spinning all the while. I changed to a JTD, which averages 50mpg, but with the same (maybe better) performance.

Just a question: Do you guys who have the 1.4 16v starjet recommend the motor instead of the 1.3 90cv diesel?

1.8Stilo said:
That is **** for a small engine and there was me thinking of down sizing to a smaller engine to save on petrol, tax and insurance! But my 1.8 averages around 33-34 :confused: ....swaying even more towards a tractor, i mean diesel now :eek:

Was about to say, if you want to save money on fuel and insurance, a tractor is the only way to go :) You know it makes sense....

siniux said:
Just a question: Do you guys who have the 1.4 16v starjet recommend the motor instead of the 1.3 90cv diesel?

i test drove both and have ordered the 1.4 16v. The diesel did pull well for a little engine - and the fuel efficiency is great - but you have to give it a few seconds notice if you want to overtake something. I found myself putting my foot down and nothing, then nothing, then the bonnet came up and off we went, at a leisurely, but ok pace.

the 1.4 16v cars i drove were both very new, but just revved better and felt more fun. i expect even better from mine once it's run in too...

/me wants a turbo on his GP 1.4 Active Sport :(

Back