cheap tft monitors from scan

Currently reading:
cheap tft monitors from scan

arc

this is where i stand
HI!

I'm miffed off with my computer at the mo, got a day off tomorrow so was gonna pop along to scan, buy a 320gb hdd (so i can format and reisntall) also been looking at monitors.. i need a new one, got an aging 19" CRT with is dying. was looking at scans tft's. the cheap ones. gotta be 19" min really. 1280x1024. dunno what the other bits mean though, cd/m2 figures, or ratios (contrast raito). i know the ms time is repsonse, and last time i look anything below 10 was good.

or i might just sod it, and spend the money on a new ECU :idea:

cheap as possible really, but i don't want cheap crap - dont mind spending a bit more to get something much better

hdd wise, was thinking WD 320gb for about £70. More space would be nice, but managing on 200gb (just!) atm, so loads more would be silly.

I use a 17" LG at work - I see Scan do a 19" LG for £143, so may be worth a look.

Are you going to run 2 HDDs in your system - one as a boot drive, one for other stuff?

For most people 17" is more than sufficient.

I have both a 17" and 19" Samsung Syncmaster monitors on my desk at work and to be honest I dont see much difference in them, granted I do use the 19" for the majority of my work and the 17" is only really used when I need to be operating 2 systems at once.

There is nothing really bad under 16ms, but low numbers doesn't mean a faster display, these days every trick in the book is used to get the response time down (my 16ms NEC display could be classed as a 10ms display these days!) . The 19" displays are, allegedly, better developed as the "industry" has decided that 19" should be the panel size of choice. However all you'll gain from a 19" display is more viewable area but no more pixels so if you like big text, icons etc 19" is probably for you. Just some general advice

Pixel count is why I got a 24" WS, the most pixels you can get on the end of a single link DVI-D cable.

When I bought this iiyama Prolite E511S, WS was still in its infancy, lol.

Saying that, I managed to borrow *cough* a little 15" TFT from work, so run this on a dual screen setup - handy to keep an eye on utorrent :)

Stuart DemonD said:
Saying that, I managed to borrow *cough* a little 15" TFT from work, so run this on a dual screen setup - handy to keep an eye on utorrent :)

Im thinking of using that trick on a 30" LCD TV at work.... ;) (Just started work for a company that reconn's consumer electronics)

Got my 17" Sony TFT from www.ebuyer.com for around £120. Nothing wrong with the LG's but I've always used sony's or Samsungs's and it was at the right price.

12ms response time and included all cables, plus no external transformer and very very slimline. So now I'm running on a Digitial DVI cable :)

Try eBuyer, similar to Scan but a little cheaper I think, compared a set of speakers I got for £20 on eBuyer and they were £35 inc. VAT on Scan!

cheers people (y)

they're not that local, but they're near enough for me to drive to get stuff so i can get all this done today.

I'll have a look at the LG 19". I currently use a 19" CRT next to a 15" TFT, and i'm not going to downsize - if anything i need dual 19" TFT (makes it so much easier when coding).

HDD wise, yeah - i'll run the new one as the boot drive, then copy everything off my currrent disc onto it, fdisk to get rid of the partition and then reformat it and use it for..er.. stuff. :D

My 19" CRTs all had about 17.5" viewable... and a 17" not running 1280x1024? I've not seen one of those in YEARS!

Back