Technical Help fitting rear parking sensors.

Currently reading:
Technical Help fitting rear parking sensors.

MrLudwig

Hi everyone,

I've been given a parking sensor kit as a present, but the instructions are somewhat brief to say the least, and I am finding it very hard to pluck up the courage to drill holes, remove panels and splice together wires in my new GP 1.2 Active. (It's my first car and I have only had it for a little over 5 weeks). :eek:

The real issue I'm having difficulty with is splicing the power cables from the control unit into the cars reversing light feed. It comes with 2 little clips to do this which seems easy enough and I can see a bunch of wires behind a panel in the boot. But which wires are the right ones?

The instructions say
Connect the red and black power wires to the vehicles reversing light wires, The red wire should be connected to the positive reversing light wire (this is the wire that becomes live when you select reverse gear) using the snap-on connector provided. Then connect the black power wire to the ground wire from the reversing light, again using the snap-on connector.

The unit is a PDC200, although the instructions also refer to it as a ‘Parkingmate Reversing and Parking Sensor System’.

Thanks for any help.

MrLudwig

If you're unsure of which wires, then get a friend to help. Stick the car in reverse with the clutch down, have no other lights on (eg brake lights), and then use a multimeter to see which is powered.

I was given the kit after, so didn't have it when I got the car.

Also, the dealer quoted me an extra £300 to have the car pre-fitted with their own rear parking sensors, which seemed way over the top to me!

MrLudwig

Haven't yet, still unsure how to proceed, especially if it may invalidate my warranty if I don't get it right!

Back