General Observations, queries, questions.....

Currently reading:
General Observations, queries, questions.....

phil.1380

Right, I've been using our Stilo JTD Multiwagon for a while now, and I've got some observations, not problems really, but a couple of things I'l like to get views on from the "collective" ownership here.

1. Suspension. Seems very soft to me, nice for a round town cruiser not much fun when "pressing on". The front seems to wash-out and understeer a bit, albeit in a predictable way but more than I would expect. Is this due to the weight and slightly elevated ride height of the 'wagon ??

Anybody done a "dropped and uprated" springs and dampers on a 'wagon ?? Any good ?? I guess the rear brake load sensor needs adjusting at the same time.......... Are uprated bushes available, do they help or am I just going to get vibration white finger........ Do I just have to accept that its a family estate car and enjoy the ride ?? Thoughts ??

Also it's got a real thump at the back when going over bumps, actually seems worse when the wheels go over the bump together if you see what I mean. Any thoughts ?? Not those nasty rear axle bushes I hope..........

2. Mapping. Now it's not as bad as the TDCI Focus (focui ??) but when you're at low rpm it seems like there are only a couple of horses available, then the rest of the stable arrives in a rush after 2k rpm. It just seems very "laggy". I realise the turbo has to spool up, but is something I've just got to get used to ?? If I had it remaped does the lag get reduced or "dialed out" ??

3. CD player. No not the "start from the begining" thing, although that is annoying !! The CD player has started to make a clicking noise when you switch on or switch off. Sometimes its a couple of clicks, sometimes it's a dozen or more. Sounds like the load/eject mechanism is having a fit and I wondered if anyone elses did the same.

Those with the 5 CD changer, is it possible to leave your Nav disc in the head unit and music in the changer and "play" both at the same time ??

4. Climate control. Seems that my gas has gone. I've done a quick visual inspection but obviously can't check for leaks myself. So should I get it leak checked before regassing, or just gas it up ??

All comments welcome, many thanks in advance.

Phil.

I don't own one but I helped my friend buy one.

1. I don't think he'd apreciate me 'testing' the limits.

2. Its a JTD. I'm afraid you have torque but not many bhp until the turbo gets going. A remap won't do much for that. Best to ask the guys at Angel tuning or Celtic tuning.

3. Not noticed.

4. Get it checked first. Nothing worse than throwing £40 of gas into the pipe only for it to hiss out somewhere else.

:idea:
1, Find I have the same problem with % door Jtd suspension, too soft, and rolls too much and although gtreat on main roads and motorways you can't chuck it about, very soggy into corners....my Citroen BX's handled much better.
Apparently you can get some uprated shockers for around £500 for four, some posts a couple of weeks back on technical threads, think I will be putting some on mine as soon as funds allow, very reluctant to lower it as its easy enough to ground the black trim on front bumper and engine cover panel as it is.
2, Not had any problems with turbo lag on my car, would say engine was probably cars best feature....pulls away well from very low speeds...maybe multiwagons extra weight doesn't help!
4, Plenty of posts on fracturing air-con pipes were they join condenser under drivers side headlight, although in my case condenser pipes had corroded through were they disappear through plastic radiator mounting panel.....sometimes traces of oil were leak is.

Last edited:
phil.1380 said:
hmmmm 40 something views and no-one prepared to comment ??

MW's are rare, so that could be why!

1. No idea; 3 and 5 door rides seem well suited to their target market IMO.
2. Only ever driven Alfa JTD's as courtesy cars, and each one seemed to be different, so can't comment :).
3. This happened on my old CD player, was indeed a bu**ered mechanism, wormdrive had snapped.
If you get the 5-disc changer, you can indeed leave the map data disc in the CN+ unit and use the CDC for music :).
4. A decent Air-Con regasser will fill the system with dye before gassing to ensure there are no leaks.

phil.1380 said:
2. Mapping. Now it's not as bad as the TDCI Focus (focui ??) but when you're at low rpm it seems like there are only a couple of horses available, then the rest of the stable arrives in a rush after 2k rpm. It just seems very "laggy". I realise the turbo has to spool up, but is something I've just got to get used to ?? If I had it remaped does the lag get reduced or "dialed out" ??

Peak torque on these engines is around the 2250 mark, so whilst the main grunt is low down, the torque curve is fairly short and steep towards its peak. In developing all the various software maps on the Stilo's we have brought the torque in steeper, which makes it feel like there is more torque low down, then sustained it for much longer, giving it much more power.

However, as with most modern diesels, you don't drive them like the old tractor diesels, you need to keep the revs up and not try an accelerate from 1,000rpm in 5th, it will reward you with better economy and a better drive if you use the box a bit more.

We have technicians in Lincs quite frequently, if you wanted a free trial to see what the mapping could do for your car drop me a email or give us a call.

As for the suspension, we have fitted out some half dozen with the Eibach lower and stiffer springs to the 3 and 5 door versions, a tranformation that has to be experienced to be believed (Just ask Stuart about his Abarth!). How well this would work on the 'wagon I am unsure, but I would expect similar results. The drop of 25mm is not "Saxo Stupid Stylee" and does not compromise the ride comfort - but it aint cheap at £375 all in, supplied and fitted.

only got a petrol with a cassette player so can only answer question 1

you're right about the suspension, put your foot down and rev it above 4000rpm, then go around a bend and watch as your car goes straight on (very predicable so is safe). I found putting extra weight in the boot helps , otherwize it's the springs/.shocks route

Now we're talking !!

Thanks for the responses so far.

The CD player still loads and ejects so I guess I'll leave that be until it finally quits.

So I'll continue to look out for the in-dash 5 CD changer unit. I need a new map disc anyway as it's scratched to death. I got one of the 10 disc units of Flee-bay but haven't tried it. Problem is where to put it........ apart from the boot. I like the in-dash option better so if anyone wants to try the 10 disc unit drop me a line.

I don't think £375 all in for supply and fit on the springs is that bad. However I've got the facilities to do that myself, so I'll probably PM you Alfanige for a supply only price on the springs. I think I'd rather sort the handling out before a remap, but you never know, I might take you up on that demo !!

Another question : Gear selection is a bit vague, is there any bushes or linkages which can wear or be replaced, or is it a cable change ??

Again thanks for the comments so far.

Phil.

Back