Technical Steering Rack Noise

Currently reading:
Technical Steering Rack Noise

Gunny Bedford

Hi,

Had my GP for about 4 weeks ( 1.3 90 HP). Since owning it i have been aware of a "creaking" noise that sounds like something is loose. I have followed the threads re suspension noise and steering rack on the forum.

Just to let you guys know i took mine to my local fiat dealer, who went out on a test drive with me, the guy in the car, the service manager i think (didnt have coveralls shirt and trousers ??) immediately stated that the noise was exactly the same as the one on a GP that was having the steering rack replaced as we drove along. He stated that his garage had become aware of a problem with the rack, and that he thought that there may well be a recall as a result. He told me that he would ring me back if the replaced rack cured the car that was in the workshop. He duly contacted me 2 hours later and informed me the replaced rack seemed to do the trick, and that he would order one for me, however he seemed to think that it might take some time to arrive, as there were 148 on back order and rising, i guess everyone is going to end up getting a replacement at some time !!

Also i am wondering if there is a problem with the paintwork, i know somebody else raised it, but after 4 or 5 weeks of ownership and 1400 miles ive got 2 stone chips on the front that have gone through to the metal (bonnet) and plastic (very front of the nose). Whilst driving along i have not heard a stone chip "ThwacK" thats made me think OOH thats gonna hurt ! so i am at a bit of a loss as to why my new car seems to be picking up damage to the paintwork so easily, it does seem quite "thin" on the front any comments ??

Neil

i think most dealers are aware of the rack problems by now lol

as for the chips what colour you got and is it metalic? also maybe you could try a decent paint protecting wax. i have the metalic new orleans blue and i was doing bout 50 on a fresh laid road (loose stones :( ) and i was over taken by a tW@2 in a civic type S and me car took a beating but i have yet to find any stone chips (exept for one right behind my passanger side indicator, which was caused after this)

I don't have any strange sound other than the suspension when hitting speedbumps. Is it a sound you hear when you turn the steering wheel or is it present all of the time?

Last edited:
I have been aware of this problem for some time and I alsi claim the first person on this forum to have raised this issue! :slayer:

I'm waiting on my steering rack to be delivered. It was ordered 2 or 3 weeks ago so have been trying to ring the dealer for the past few days for an update and had no joy getting through until today. The guy put me on hold for a few minutes and then he came back on, but didn't speak and just hung up!!! Arrrghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just want the ****ing car fixed!!!! 3 million miles of testing and they never spotted this problem?????? Also one of the courtesy cars they gave me while it was in getting checked had the exact same problem.

I smell a recall

The sound is present all the time, not when turning the wheel, it is especially noticeable at low speeds, and sounds like something is loose and rattling around slightly. By the sounds of it most GP 's have the problem.

VinylHogger said:
I'm waiting on my steering rack to be delivered. It was ordered 2 or 3 weeks ago so have been trying to ring the dealer for the past few days for an update and had no joy getting through until today. The guy put me on hold for a few minutes and then he came back on, but didn't speak and just hung up!!! Arrrghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just want the ****ing car fixed!!!! 3 million miles of testing and they never spotted this problem?????? Also one of the courtesy cars they gave me while it was in getting checked had the exact same problem.

I smell a recall
I've had a new rack fitted, and it didn't cure the problem.

I spoke to my dealership the other day, they are aware of the problem, and their technical team are currently communicating with FIAT to find out what is going on.
(Dont know what to take from that).
Looks like it could be more than just a steering rack issue.
(But hey I aint a mechanic, so what do I know).

The problem IS just the rack....BUT....

must be very careful what type of rack use to replace the old one because if it's not the corrected type then the problem come again.....

Some friends here replaced the defective one with new and now everything ok,.....

By the way,.......does any of you have any strange noise (like plastic parts heating eachother) from the whplastic connected to the rear bumper and continuing inside the wheel arch? When heating by hand the lower part of the bumper on left side,...this noise appear somewhere inside the wheel arch...the same noise appear when on the way passing over some not good surface.....it's not suspension problem,...already cheked.

Sporty said:
The problem IS just the rack....BUT....

must be very careful what type of rack use to replace the old one because if it's not the corrected type then the problem come again.....

Some friends here replaced the defective one with new and now everything ok,.....
I don't think so, my rack was replaced by a Fiat franchised dealer, for a new one, problem not solved, so the fault is not the steering rack alone.

OXO,

What paint protecting wax do you suggest ? does anyone else have any recommendations ??

my gp has been at dealers for 5 weeks now waiting for rack.... suspension prob too... also door catch faulty .prob in door with bad weld, rattles when window down (known fault)courtesy gp has developed rack prob ..think ill reject,shame looks like nice car!

The steering rack is a known issue and there are two different part numbers for the two improved racks available to the network now. Its not just a GP issue, I have had all types play up.

Gavin,...sorry to tell you,..but i think they just put the same defective type of rack that's why you still have the problem....:(

I have just got back from holiday, and while I was away, Thames Fiat replaced my rack, and 100 or so miles later, it seems to be fine - the problem has not come back, so fingers crossed, its fixed for me :)

By the way, if anyone is having problems with their dealer, Thames said they will diagnose and fix any GP with this problem, regardless of where it was initially purchased.

[=hris said:
By the way, if anyone is having problems with their dealer, Thames said they will diagnose and fix any GP with this problem, regardless of where it was initially purchased.

Doesn't matter where you initially purchased any fiat from you can take it to any fiat dealer for repair.

Took my car to fiats, needs a new steering rack, guy recons it will be there in 2 days???????
BUT they may have to order it from italy.
Im not happy, my car is unroadworthy and thus my insurance is invalid.
Dealership were going to give me the car back not fixed until i pointed out that it would fail an MOT therefor its unroadworthy. They have loaned me a car from the forecourt for 1 week,,,, even though they recon 2 days for the steering rack to be in.????
After then he recons hes going to get me a hire car for 6 weeks, so i duno what happened to the 2 days delivery and fitting????
Going throught Fiat uk, and trading standards to find out if i can get rid. Trading standards quote
"It is an offence for a supplier to sell you goods – whether new or second-hand – unless they are safe. But this does not apply to antiques or to goods needing repair or reconditioning, provided you were clearly informed of this fact.

If you believe you have bought unsafe goods, you should contact the trading standards department of your local authority. Trading standards phone numbers are listed in the phone book under the local council to whom you pay your council tax.

If new goods turn out to be unsafe you may have a legal claim against the manufacturer."

Asked the dealership to relace the vehicle for a like for like, as suggested by the finance company but he refused! He wanted me to chop it in at a £1500 loss....does he think im stupid or what.
When i asked him if the car was dangerous he got on the phone to the service people and asked them, he didnt reply....so i guess it could be dangerous. Said to him i was going to take the car for an MOT but he said that he would lend me a car, even if he had to hire one for me, so im guessing it cant not be dangerous.
Fed up with Fiat, especially Glyn Hopkin Buckhursthill!!!!!

rob19791 said:
Took my car to fiats, needs a new steering rack, guy recons it will be there in 2 days???????
BUT they may have to order it from italy.
Im not happy, my car is unroadworthy and thus my insurance is invalid.
Dealership were going to give me the car back not fixed until i pointed out that it would fail an MOT therefor its unroadworthy. They have loaned me a car from the forecourt for 1 week,,,, even though they recon 2 days for the steering rack to be in.????
After then he recons hes going to get me a hire car for 6 weeks, so i duno what happened to the 2 days delivery and fitting????
Going throught Fiat uk, and trading standards to find out if i can get rid. Trading standards quote
"It is an offence for a supplier to sell you goods – whether new or second-hand – unless they are safe. But this does not apply to antiques or to goods needing repair or reconditioning, provided you were clearly informed of this fact.

If you believe you have bought unsafe goods, you should contact the trading standards department of your local authority. Trading standards phone numbers are listed in the phone book under the local council to whom you pay your council tax.

If new goods turn out to be unsafe you may have a legal claim against the manufacturer."

Asked the dealership to relace the vehicle for a like for like, as suggested by the finance company but he refused! He wanted me to chop it in at a £1500 loss....does he think im stupid or what.
When i asked him if the car was dangerous he got on the phone to the service people and asked them, he didnt reply....so i guess it could be dangerous. Said to him i was going to take the car for an MOT but he said that he would lend me a car, even if he had to hire one for me, so im guessing it cant not be dangerous.
Fed up with Fiat, especially Glyn Hopkin Buckhursthill!!!!!

When I first noticed this problem with my car, the dealer suggested I phone the AA to check if the car is safe to drive. He had a good look underneath and all was fine. The steering rack issue is just a noise. It's faulty but totally 100% safe. I've been driving mine for over 3 months with this problem and have had no problems (apart from the nise obviously). Can't wait to get the thing fixed. Going to chase it up now actually.

Good luck

Back