Technical Doblo Tyre Wear

Currently reading:
Technical Doblo Tyre Wear

When I bought my Doblo a few months ago (must be about 4 months ago) the dealer had to put new tyres on the front of the car as they were on the limit. He replaced them with Avon tyres, with a load rating of 84 (maxumum weight per wheel 500kg).

The shock came last night when I was washing it that again after only about 2500 miles, the front tyres were on the wear limiter! I didn't think I'd get much from them but expected more than that.

It's booked in the garage this afternoon for a set of tyres with a 580kg load per tyre, they're also reinforced and they are Michelin :) although at around £50 of my hard earned cash a piece I hope I won't need some until I get my alloys ;)

Ozzie,

Kin Ell !! 2500 miles and your tyres are worn out?

Either you're driving like a young bloke :D :D or there's something obviously wrong. I assume you were running the tyres at the correct pressure.

Get the tracking checked by an expert (not necessarily a tyre depot or dealer).

Just for the record the tyres on our Doblo last in excess of 70,000 miles on the front. (Pirelli P3000 run at 40psi front, 50 psi rear).

LUKHYGO

I've had two sets of Pirelli p3000 on the front both sets only lasted about 22,000-23,000 miles.
70,000 is very good, almost to good to be true considering all the weight at the front.

The Pirelli tyres that came with the car new did 15000 miles on the front then had to be changed. The new ones have done 17000 miles and are due a change. The original Pirelli tyres on the rear are only half worn. I drive like an old fart so can someone tell me what I am doing wrong please.LOL

doblo said:
70,000 is very good, almost to good to be true considering all the weight at the front.

Doblo,
My wife's van runs 400+ miles every day mostly at about 65mph on the motorway. There are virtually no acceleration/braking/cornering forces at work on the tyre. I'll thankyou not to imply I'm not telling the truth in future. Thankyou.

Ozzie,
How did you get on ?

Last edited:
Well I got there and they didn't have any Michelins, so guess what I've got now... Pirelli P3000's I was so chuffed when the guy put them by my car as from reading some other threads this morning others have used them and they've been good. Hopefully this will do the trick.

The guy down the garage said that the Avon's were no good anyway, and certainly didn't suit the car. He has one himself and uses proper van tyres on his but they're more expensive again. Oh, and he said "how come my Doblo doesn't sound as good as yours" so we spent 15min talking about the audio! They knocked £40 off for me anyway and charged me £100 for the two.

Good price or not? :)

P.S.: For the record Niall I AM NOT a boy racer :D

Last edited:
Ozzie1989 said:

P.S.: For the record Niall I AM NOT a boy racer :D

Ozzie me ole chum,

Being a slow driver is nothing to be ashamed of, don't let it play on your mind despite what everyoneelse says.:D :D :D

Glad to see you got some good tyres(y) . I'd still recommend getting the tracking checked just to make sure all is ok so that your new boots don't get scrubbed out:cry: :cry: :cry: .

PS. I get 75,000 miles rear/ 110,000 miles front, life out of the tyres on my 3.5 ton van - I drive like a granny tho, No wild acceleration, nice and easy round the corners, good observation to avoid hard braking etc. Using a certain level of 'mechanical sympathy' pays dividends in the long run. (I drive our Volvo V70 2.4 T turbo like a right tit tho :D :D :D :D ) The computer rarley shows more than 20mpg average over a tankful but its such good fun I can't help myself.

Yeah I might get the tracking done as you suggested anyway, hoping these will last me a year at least so I can put some 15" alloys on. If these Pirelli's do well I'll put them on my alloys too, as they do the size I need :)

Oh and, yes I am driving EVEN slower now than before :p as tyres are worth a gold bar compared to my pay :D plus it saves on fuel!

Niall_G said:
Doblo,
My wife's van runs 400+ miles every day mostly at about 65mph on the motorway. There are virtually no acceleration/braking/cornering forces at work on the tyre. I'll thankyou not to imply I'm not telling the truth in future. Thankyou.

Niall_G
I didn't mean to imply that you weren't telling the truth it was more like shock. Having read other similar threads I don't think I've even seen 30,000 miles for fronts on a Doblo. So all can think is that the lack of a/b/c is vastly adding to the milage as also is the 40psi in the tyres, & probably little use of the power steering which must scrub tyres very quickly in towns.

I think that's most of the problem with town driving you've got the scrubbing from the power steering and the corners, which the tyre fitter said on a car like the Doblo, cause they lean it puts extra pressure on the tyre and "squabs" it thus causing greater wear. This is why he said that the 88T weight limit and with the tyre Reinforced, should be the minimum rating on these cars, especially for town driving :)

I tell you what, if I get 10,000 out of these I'll be chuffed :D

Doblo,

We're friends again....:) :) :)

Not that we fell out, just me being a bit miffed at an implied criticism that wasn't actualy what you meant.

Lets just pick on Ozzie from now on........ he loves it :D :D :D :D

Ozzie1989 said:
When I bought my Doblo a few months ago (must be about 4 months ago) the dealer had to put new tyres on the front of the car as they were on the limit. He replaced them with Avon tyres, with a load rating of 84 (maxumum weight per wheel 500kg).

The shock came last night when I was washing it that again after only about 2500 miles, the front tyres were on the wear limiter! I didn't think I'd get much from them but expected more than that.

It's booked in the garage this afternoon for a set of tyres with a 580kg load per tyre, they're also reinforced and they are Michelin :) although at around £50 of my hard earned cash a piece I hope I won't need some until I get my alloys ;)
I've just looked at my front tyres, they seem to be the same Avon tyres you had.

Niall_G said:
Ozzie,

Kin Ell !! 2500 miles and your tyres are worn out?

Either you're driving like a young bloke :D :D or there's something obviously wrong. I assume you were running the tyres at the correct pressure.

Get the tracking checked by an expert (not necessarily a tyre depot or dealer).

Just for the record the tyres on our Doblo last in excess of 70,000 miles on the front. (Pirelli P3000 run at 40psi front, 50 psi rear).

LUKHYGO

I'm presuming that the Pirelli's on the van are not the same spec as Pirelli's on the MPV as 40-50 psi seems excessive, possibly another reason for such high mileages.

I run mine at 40psi all round if it's empty on the back, when I do carry all my heavy gear it's usually short runs so I don't worry too much, but if it's a long run I'll put some more in the backs, usually about 45psi :)

Ozzie1989 said:
I run mine at 40psi all round if it's empty on the back, when I do carry all my heavy gear it's usually short runs so I don't worry too much, but if it's a long run I'll put some more in the backs, usually about 45psi :)
I've always had mine at 30psi.

I started mine off with the "lower" readings from the book, but found that when I used the higher readings the handling seemed less "sloppy" and more precise, although 40psi on the back with no weight can be a little choppy! I just use 40 all round to make it easy for me to remember :p

doblo said:
I'm presuming that the Pirelli's on the van are not the same spec as Pirelli's on the MPV as 40-50 psi seems excessive, possibly another reason for such high mileages.

I thought the same but the handbook is quite specific. The tyres fitted to my wife's Cargo JTDSX are to be run at 40psi front/ 50psi rear regardless of load. Struck me as strange but perhaps the reinforced tyres don't like the side walls flexing at lower pressures. I expected the centre of the tyres to wear out first at these pressures (Ballooning) but they wear down evenly across the tread.

I have the opposite situation on my 3.5 ton van. The handbook specifies different pressures for different loads. Adjusting tyre pressure several times a day is obviously impractical and so I leave them pumped for the maximum load. Again the tyres wear down evenly across the tread.

Back