Technical Sky Roof Not working!

Currently reading:
Technical Sky Roof Not working!

DubWitStilo

Yesterday morning driving to work I opened my sky roof on to the first setting opening the first flap. As it was a warm day I left it open when I got to work so the car wouldn't be like an oven when I got back in.

BUT when I got in the car to go home from work I decided to open it the whole way but nothing happpened i turned the knob back and the roof closed completley then turned it back to full and nothing happened. Ive tried it a few times since but still no joy.

Has anyone else had a similiar prob and if so how was it solved? hopefully its something small, like a blown fuse.

CC... :confused:

My sky roof has been playing up this year (since first use after the winter if that gives a clue) :(

The most impressive feature always works - that is being able to open and close it with the remote. :cool:

The problem seems connected with the 6 position selection switch. Once again this works fine if you select fully open or fully closed. The problem is with all the intermediate positions except the first (which only lifts the front blade).

If you choose say position 3 (one blade open) then this opens normally. However after a short time (only minutes normally) the sky roof starts oscillating between position 2 and position 3. There's obviously a fail safe built in the system as after a short time the roof shuts completely and then the switch will not function at all (you can still shut the blinds OK). It will stay like this for the rest of the journey but if you stop for a while it will most likely work again when you restart your journey. Basically if you only FULLY open or close the sky roof (or keep to position 1) then it’s quite usable.

Now it struck me, as did a garage that tested it (and supplied a new header console), that the switch itself is faulty.

IT ISN'T! (n) I can swap between the old and new switch and the symptoms are identical. :bang:

Before anyone suggests it I've done the full initialization sequence on both switches - both with engine off and running (even while driving).

I have a gut feeling that the motor might be the culprit (which happens to be under warranty) but I'm not at all keen to have my roof stripped out only to find it isn't. Most people I've spoken to say the interior will never be as good afterwards :mad:

Is there anyone who can say "Yes I've had that problem" as I'd really like to hear from them. :)

Argonought,the fail safe you mention (is built into the motor) as it is current sensitive.Good bet the fault lies there.

Forget what people say about car interior never being the same after motor renewed...talk to someone who has changed the sunroof motor!!!

T14086 said:
Argonought,the fail safe you mention (is built into the motor) as it is current sensitive.Good bet the fault lies there.
The main agents are the only people locally who are prepared to do the job. Unfortunately they seem to take the view that it's more likely to be a wiring loom fault than the motor (although they except it could be the motor).

Logic to me dictates that a wiring loom doesn't go faulty over a winter period whereas a motor could do (as its function is based on electrical contacts - and most importantly I'd imagine sensors which suffer corrosion).

I’ve tried plenty of different things to see what makes any difference but nothing really does which makes me think it must be something I’ve not touched at all i.e the motor (too difficult to get at).

The other problem for me is that my warranty covers the motor but NOT the loom.

I think I'll have a chat with the person who'd fit the motor and see what he thinks. Probably worth the risk from what you say (y)

Argonought said:
Logic to me dictates . . .

Hello Mr Vulcan :p

I agree with Ian, I've got to drop the roof lining of my Stilo to fit the new Sat Nav antenna, and we put a new lining in in the Schumi; as long as you are careful and use new clips (not shag*ed old ones that break as you take them out), I can't see what the problem is!

Even better then :D

We tried just moving the lining down for the GPS aerial on the Schumi but it ended up creasing massively; won't make that £90 mistake again :p

T14086 said:
No need to remove roof lining to change the motor,its a 20minute job!
I must admit, looking at it, I thought "there's most likely an easy way of removing this" except I don't know what that way is.

Oddly enough I asked Nationwide Autocentres what they'd charge and they said "it's listed as a 3 hour job but it's too difficult for us to do anyway" :eek:

I then asked the local agents and they said it's only a 2 hour job (and also seemed rather more confident)

Ian, any chance of a very basic step by step as I get the impression the main dealer is thinking of taking the complete sunroof out :confused:

Well a stanley knife is all the therapy my bro needed after watching it crease :p, it looked rather satisfying to chop it up :D

The sunroof motor is situated above the control switch/interior light panel,remove that & you will see the motor is held in by 3 x torx bolts(T30 from memory)........you only have to remove the headcloth (well the rear part of it) if you want access to the blind motor situated at rear of roof section.
If your trying to access the roller blind itself I would strongly recommend dealer.

T14086 said:
The sunroof motor is situated above the control switch/interior light panel,remove that & you will see the motor is held in by 3 x torx bolts(T30 from memory)........you only have to remove the headcloth (well the rear part of it) if you want access to the blind motor situated at rear of roof section.
If your trying to access the roller blind itself I would strongly recommend dealer.
Thanks Ian, I'll need to take this up with the main agents and see where they get the two hour figure from :confused:

I know what you mean about the 3 torx bolts but I was a bit concerned that the whole thing might just fall apart after taking the motor out :eek: Presumably there's no complicated alignment required when you put the new one in (other than the init sequence)?

I'm not sure at all - hence reason for post :(

I've a got feeling it is but then I had an even stronger feeling that it was the switch :bang:

What's good about this is the motor is under warranty and from what you say is also easy to fit then this has to be the sensible route. All I've got to do is get the claim accepted and make sure the dealer knows how to do the job (sounds like I could do it myself)

Had a good result with the switch. When I collected the car I asked if they wanted the old 'duff' switch. They said "No"; picked it out the rubbish and gave it to me!! :D

T14086 said:
Have you carried out the reset/initialisation procedure?

Thanks 4 the replys.
No I have not as I do not know how to. Advice is more than wecome.

Also the roller blind is not working either so its obviously not the switch or motor as they have seperate switches and motors.

No sunroof and my Air con won't work when are my elec windows going to pack in??? I better move to the north pole.. :bang:

One of the first things I did was lubricate everything (not excessively and with care).

The thing is the roof can stay open on position 3 for a good 5 minutes or more so it's difficult to see what work the motor has to do.

It seems like an intermittent problem to me that is most likely triggered by vibration. It could be a wiring loom contact or a motor contact. It's just like the motor suddenly decides the roof is in the wrong position but is unable to find the right position.

I'm wondering if it might be worth taking the motor out just to have look at it? I suppose I might find some dodgy contacts in the process :idea:

Back