Technical any clever clutch people?

Currently reading:
Technical any clever clutch people?

LanciaMad

Established member
I fitted a 6 speed box to my punto (1242 8v 2001) on sunday with the new clutch. Put it all back together and it doesnt seem as though the clutch is disengaging......

The slave cylinder appears to be moving ok when the clutch is depressed however it wont go into gear, when the engine is turned off it will go into all gears freely so I dont think it is the gearbox (although it has been standing for about 6 months).

Any ideas? I think I probably broke the clutch somehow when I put the gearbox back on, looks like im gonna have to take it all off again.(n)

LanciaMad said:
I fitted a 6 speed box to my punto (1242 8v 2001) on sunday with the new clutch. Put it all back together and it doesnt seem as though the clutch is disengaging......

The slave cylinder appears to be moving ok when the clutch is depressed however it wont go into gear, when the engine is turned off it will go into all gears freely so I dont think it is the gearbox (although it has been standing for about 6 months).

Any ideas? I think I probably broke the clutch somehow when I put the gearbox back on, looks like im gonna have to take it all off again.(n)
Sounds like it is the clutch I had this problem many years ago fitting a later gearbox in a Morris 1000 the clutch was slightly different only about 4 mm in assembled height but it was enough to stop the clutch disengaging properly. So maybe you need a different clutch?
Check part numbers on 6 speed cars. May not be the answer but .......

I know what Ive done now, after thinking for a while it dawned on me. The first atempt to put the gearbox back on failed so I took it back out and reajusted the friction plate on the clutch (undoing the houseing bolts a little to help) I must have forgotten to tighten them back up

I found a little inspection hatch on the gearbox and you can see to clutch plate not tight to the flywheel.

I then realised that I can actually tighten the clutch up through the inspection hatch.

In my excitement I dropped my 10mm spanner into the gearbox through this hatch.

I now have a selection of magnets to try and fish it out, if not then it looks like I'll only have to take the box off a little bit.

I feel sick

LanciaMad said:
I know what Ive done now, after thinking for a while it dawned on me. The first atempt to put the gearbox back on failed so I took it back out and reajusted the friction plate on the clutch (undoing the houseing bolts a little to help) I must have forgotten to tighten them back up

I found a little inspection hatch on the gearbox and you can see to clutch plate not tight to the flywheel.

I then realised that I can actually tighten the clutch up through the inspection hatch.

In my excitement I dropped my 10mm spanner into the gearbox through this hatch.

I now have a selection of magnets to try and fish it out, if not then it looks like I'll only have to take the box off a little bit.

I feel sick

I thought it was only me that had luck like that...

My dad has a good retrieval tool that he made after he done something along these lines, it consists of a cylindrical magnet with a centre bore that he tied a string through.

Take it a telescopic one is too short? What about one of those grabber claw things?

eb_2.JPG

Anyway, good luck getting it out, and if you need to tighten the others if you manage to get it out, tie something round the bugger.

If it was me, I'd take my wrath out on the spanner when you're done with it with an angle grinder - that'll teach it.

Back