General Bizarre headlamp problem

Currently reading:
General Bizarre headlamp problem

Alanovich

Hi All,

My Ulysse is a left hand drive import from Spain originally, I'm just in the process of getting it MOT'd so I can register it here, and have needed to switch the headlamps out for this purpose. My car is a 1995 model, and I bought some headlamps from a UK spec 96 model from a scrap yard. I took the car to get them fitted at my local garage who have told me they don't fit, becasue the physical slope of the headlamps does not match with the grille on the car. They say the only potential solution is to get a new grille also to match the right hand drive headlamps. This sounds really bizarre and unlikely as I can't imagine headlamp shapes and grilles differ between right and left hand drive models. Has anyone come across this before, and if so have you any advice for getting the headlmaps to fit? I have asked the scrap yard to send the grille and we'll see how that goes, but I'm worried this won't work. In the first place all I wanted to do was put beam benders on, but I'm informed by the MOT testing station that this won't be sufficient (even though I see many LHD Twingos etc UK registered with beam benders fitted, which means they must have passed an MOT to get UK plates). And the trouble with MOTs these days is no free retests, so if I try it and it fails, that's another 45 quid up the Swannee. Any experiences or help on this point would also be appreciated!
Cheers,
Steve

Back