General Replacement Mk2 8v Exhaust

Currently reading:
General Replacement Mk2 8v Exhaust

Gav

This morning I was minding my own business, giving my brother a lift to the airport. Went round a corner and there was this loud banging. I stopped pretty quick and he got out to see my exhaust dragging on the ground. I moved forward and the exhaust stayed on the ground. It came off from the silencer back, no pipe sticking out from the silencer...

Earlier today I popped down th Kwik-fit for the geezer to take a look. He said it needed the whole lot replacing. £214 all in all. I wasn't sure so left it for now. My fiat dealer (Wilson Purves, Crawley - actually pretty decent guys), are going to take a look tomorrow, call me with a quote. So I ask the advice of the forum. Has anyone replaced a standard Mk2 Punto (ELX 1242cc 8v) exhaust? I don't need a sports exhuast etc, but if they're cheaper then perhaps. Do they need to change the whole lot from the downpipes back? How long have your exhausts lasted? My Punto has recently passed 50k, seeing that I do plently of miles, but they're not on the motorway (mainly cross country lanes).

I'm away on business for the rest of the week, and I'm having a hire car from the company for that, so it's not urgent. Got to see what the dealer will quote...

Punto Mk2 ELX

Update:

Well, Wilson Purves Fiat looked at my Punto and said they only needed to replace the back box silencer section. The price they quoted was roughly the same as that of the more expensive part from Kwik Fit (I'd expect a silencer to cost more than some bended piping), so I told them to get on and do it. I'm away on business at the moment, but less than two hours later I had call to say it was all done. Great service so far - and they're keeping my car safer than it would have been...

So if the back of your exhaust falls off, don't believe the hype from Kwick Fit etc about a whole new one - Fiat dealers can replace the back only, and do it for roughly the same price.

Wilson_Purves++;
:D

Hi Guy's

Thats happened to me in November I paid 246.76 (inc VAT) it was £125.00 for the Centre Box and £85.00 for the rear box. Its bloody expensive.. i was told to watch the Catalytic as it runs from the exhaust manifold.. and is a dealer part only, the guy estimated as much as £400 for it. I only have one other problem and this happens on my 5dr punto.. basically if i have any passengers i can hear the rear box touching. I had the garage on two occassions put the rear box back in its gromits.

As for sports exhausts im not to sure on their build quality.. some are better than others.

Ed

I dont understand why you think getting just a back box for the same price of a whole system is a good deal, i would expect to pay no more than about £30 for a standard back box.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do not Email or PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead. Your reply may help someone else. Thank you
binki3.jpg
binkwatingforaheadrub1.JPG

Back