Printer ink question

Currently reading:
Printer ink question

What printer is it that you have??

some of the cannon/epson machines that take 4 carts (black, cyan, magenta, yellow) can print in gold, as long as you have the four colours.

ok struggling with the Hp machine is it quite old?

But the Epson 300this machine takes all four colours, plus light magenta and a light cyan. You can also buy colour packs for them.

The packs are about £20 and each of the colours are about £10 each.

You should be able to get any colour you want from this machine, as long as you have all the colours.

I'll get part codes for you if you need them.

Kurt said:
ok struggling with the Hp machine is it quite old?

But the Epson 300this machine takes all four colours, plus light magenta and a light cyan. You can also buy colour packs for them.

The packs are about £20 and each of the colours are about £10 each.

You should be able to get any colour you want from this machine, as long as you have all the colours.

I'll get part codes for you if you need them.

Where do you buy them from though? Websites? P.S. The HP ain't that old but takes a black + 3 colour cart.

Hellcat said:
Where do you buy them from though? Websites? P.S. The HP ain't that old but takes a black + 3 colour cart.
Some HP can take a photo cartridge instead of the black which increases the colours from four (cyan, magenta, yellow, black) to six (cyan, light cyan, magenta, light magenta, yellow, black.)

Unsure what exact models use it but my Deskjet 5940 prints colour extremely well if I'm using the photo cartridge.

Places to buy, loads! just use google...

Maybe this is too simple for us intlectuals (major sp LOL) erm, take an empty cartridge to your nearest cartridge refillers, provide the with gold ink (Art Shop) and say fill it or get a kit and DIY.

Liam

bloomfieldliam said:
Maybe this is too simple for us intlectuals (major sp LOL) erm, take an empty cartridge to your nearest cartridge refillers, provide the with gold ink (Art Shop) and say fill it or get a kit and DIY.

Liam

There's a very high chance that the gold ink will dry before it even gets out of the nozzles, or the metallic particles will clog up. But it has to be worth a try :) I find that ink cartridges can't be refilled anyway (especially for HP printers) because every alternate nozzle tends to stop working just before the ink actually runs out. I've never seen one colour run out before the others: it's always the nozzles that stop first.

There used to be an ALPS printer about ten years ago that printed by heat transfer off ribbons. You could get coloured ribbons in metallic blue, red, gold, or silver. And normal CMYK, of course. I think it took four colours at a time. I did a quick Google search for 'ALPS Gold Printer' and found this: http://www.sonic.net/mnitepub/pccafe/reviews/alpsprinter/alpsprinter.html

also
http://cgi.ebay.com/Alps-MD-5000-Th...-NR_W0QQitemZ6892613649QQihZ013QQcmdZViewItem

seems it's a bit of a 'classic'! So possibly now outside your price range?

This is also one of very few printers that can also print in black & white. Can your printer do black AND white? ;)

EDIT: I see it uses *seven* ribbons at once. I'm getting more and more excited by this printer: obviously a Lancia-style computer peripheral. Different, clever, expensive when new, high-quality, both a complete PITA to use and a joy to behold when it works :D

The last super-printer I had was my HP Paintjet XL300. Only average print quality (300dpi, like a Deskjet), but FOUR big cartridges at once, A3 support (once you've had a BIG printer you wonder how you managed without), PostScript (meaning the printer stood alone on the network like a laser), and most importantly - twin heaters! The platen and the output tray both had heaters that glowed orange. Now how many of your budget inkjets would have that? This thing was fast and expensive (thousands of dollars in 1991) - pure class - and it was FREE to me in 1997... I even sold it for $400 a year or two later. Cartridges were a rather nominal $20 each, obviously before the manufacturers figured out how to ream the mass market.

-Alex

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back