Technical Loose Engine Part - If anyone can identify

Currently reading:
Technical Loose Engine Part - If anyone can identify

neoseal

Hello,

I bought a brava 1.2 SX last week and have found out that there is a loose part tagged on top of the engine. I have attached few pics of the part and presumable where it fits. I have gone thru Haynes manual but am not sure what it is. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• P18-05-06_12.39.jpg
    P18-05-06_12.39.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 39
  • P18-05-06_12.40.jpg
    P18-05-06_12.40.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 31
  • P18-05-06_12.41.jpg
    P18-05-06_12.41.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 34
  • P18-05-06_12.41[1].jpg
    P18-05-06_12.41[1].jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 32
yes wipers work. I think it is throttle potentiometer. It is made by BOSCH and it fits on the throttle ( bottom left pic), I tried to fix it there but didnt had proper screws for it.

What if its faulty and I fix it, will it create any problem?

im fairly sure it is the TPS, so if it is faulty and you fit it then it shouldnt make any difference at all. if it isnt faulty then you shoud notice a difference, usually it wil make acceleration better. you can easily test the TPS with a multimeter, IIRC the resistance range is 0-600ohms, depends on the model of car but thats a range i've seen more than once now. if you see no change in resistance then its definately broken, or if there is no continuity through the TPS then it is also broken. a replacement wont cost much, it may be worth your while testing it before you go to get the bolts from a scrapyard, then if it is broken you can get a TPS with the bolts.

Jug, I fitted it and the revs started going up and in about 4 minutes touched 3000 rpm. It doesnt stop to increase and the engine heated upto one mark above centre. I couldnt check it with a multimeter, but does this increase in revs mean that it is faulty. Should I change it. A local mechanic suggested to disconnect the battery and reconnect. Will it be safe to disconnect the battery and reconnect, i mean all these engine management codes will mess up. Went to eurocarparts for new potentiometer but they do not stock it and told that I have to go to fiat for it.

try leaving the battery disconnected for an hour to reset the ecu. it shouldnt cause any problems. i guess the TPS may be faulty, that would explain why it wasn't fitted correctly when you bought it. dont go to fiat, try a scrap yard.

Back