General rear disc conversion on my panda.

Currently reading:
General rear disc conversion on my panda.

Hi all, i have been trying to find out about a rear disc conversion for my panda. I know that all i need is the calipers and discs off a uno turbo (see third post down on link), but i dont know what i would have to do about a handbrake cable (panda cable, UT cable, or custom made one). I was just wondering if anybody like Oldschool had done something like this?

http://forums.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-forums.showdiscussion/thread_id-1632/38e4ac87.html

edit - i have found a place that sells the rear discs for £30 the two inc P&P, the pads are £22 the set inc P&P, and i can get the two calipers for £50 exc P&P, now i just need the money :D (will probably start the project in a couple of months time when i have slightly more money).

Last edited:
The general thinking on this is don't do it(n)

but if you must :devil:

use the punto GT handbrake cables and equalizer bar (part nos 7747333,7747334 and 7774273)

if you use the uno rear disks you also need the uno rear hubs. A better bet is to use panda 1000 front disks on the back.

the biggest problem is that you have to get some bracket plates made to mount the calipiers to:(
and where can you get the calipiers for £50 from? (an inquiring mind needs to know;) )

best of luck

ps. don't forget you will also have to change the brake line fixings and add a couple of flexable hoses.

Sorry but i have set my mind to it, so its going to happen :D. I am going to try to use the hand brake cables off the UT, and the UT calipers and discs, but if it doesnt work i will try other bits. Sorry mate, but i cant tell you where the UT calipers for £50 are as i want them ;)

just to advise you the 1st thing you need to do is uprate the fronts.
otherwise you can get rear brake bias which you dont want under heavy braking.
2nd your adding more weight to the rear of your panda plus you dont really need that extra braking without heavy performance mods

custard boy said:
just to advise you the 1st thing you need to do is uprate the fronts.
otherwise you can get rear brake bias which you dont want under heavy braking.
2nd your adding more weight to the rear of your panda plus you dont really need that extra braking without heavy performance mods

To be honest the bit of extra weight on the back from discs would be quite benefitial to the weight distribution of the car. Pandas have hardly any weight over the back wheels and it's not hard to get the back end out in slippery conditions.

Just out of interest, what kind of power output does ur panda have? I would have thought the rear drums would be fine for anything thats not gona be used on a track?

Hellcat said:
Handbrake is usually crap on discs.. Always found drums to be much more powerful.

Got to disagree, the handbrake on both my integrale, and my previous R5GTT's were magnificent in comparission to any Fiat drum handbrake, tho your are correct in saying a drum brake is more powerful than a disc hence why buses and trucks still have drums, tho they are working on a disc set up for these as there have been many Alpine type descents in Europe where the drums overheat and trucks buses run into trouble.

I have all the parts to do a rear UT disc conversion on my Cinq turbo and I have had a shot of another Cinq with a UT conversion and its so so much better than standard.

The items you really want are the mounting brackets for the calipers which are NA now at Fiat thats why i bought i whole rear axle from a UT to get all parts, managed to get one for £50 delivered. I think someone posted a drawing up on the Cinq section ages ago of the brackets, so should be able to get them made up fairly cheaply from a local engineering company.

For service parts theses guys are good as i found one of the pistons was corroded on mine and they have replacements for £13 http://www.brakesint.com/shop.html they also do straight replacements.

As for disc's i paid £13.80+VAT for group N disc's from Rally Design www.raldes.co.uk.

HTH Aaron.

Well done Chris but..

J333EVO said:
The items you really want are the mounting brackets for the calipers which are NA now at Fiat ........ I think someone posted a drawing up on the Cinq section ages ago of the brackets, so should be able to get them made up fairly cheaply from a local engineering company.

These are the most important (and hard to get) parts that you need and I don't think they are included, they are not in the pictures.

All the best with this project. Damon

Hi there
I have a panda that's running rear disc, not too hard to do, there are clearance issues on the rear dampers and from memory the rear arm needed to be modified Also the handbrake is not the best, very hard to get the leverage ratio needed!
Why do you want discs or the rear, apart from the fact they look cool?

Neverstop said:
Hi there
I have a panda that's running rear disc, not too hard to do, there are clearance issues on the rear dampers and from memory the rear arm needed to be modified Also the handbrake is not the best, very hard to get the leverage ratio needed!

Because drums were invented in prehistoric times ;p

Neverstop said:
Hi there

I'm not going for a rear disc conversion any more, i will instead be getting goodridge stainless steel brake pipes, grooved rear drums (if i can find someone who still makes them), and will be fitting my upgraded pads and discs (y)

Back