Technical Failed MOT!!

Currently reading:
Technical Failed MOT!!

dolman17

Just got my car back from the Garage, it Failed on Emmisions. The lambda reading was 1.05 instead of in the limits of 0.97 0 1.03. They have said that they cant tell what is causing the reading, so have advised me to put standard air box back on and standard back box. I have the standard air box but the problem is i havent got the old standard exhaust, the reason i changed the standard exhaust was beacause it was blowing.

They have quoted me £120 for a new exhaust.

If this doesnt sort the problem they said change the lambda sensors - quoting about £85.

Do these prices and explanations sound right or could there be a more simpler reason why the reading is high??

Sorry for essay!!!:eek:

MOT_Fail.jpg

Last edited:
I had a cinq sporting with a sportex 3" tailpipe,and that failed the mot on emmisions,turns out with it having such a big bore it was sucking air in too,so giving a false reading,so the guy at the mot station covered the bore with a rag,with the emmisions pipe still in place,this making a genuine reading and it passed!

you dont say if you have a big bore backbox on or not,but if you have then its worth a go,i was so suprised when it happened to me,iand i wouldnt have believed anyone if they told me,but it really did work

it also seems like they are trying to get a bit of coin out of you too!!!

if they wont try it,take it elsewhere!

keep us posted!
(",)

Attachments

• punto side.JPG
    punto side.JPG
    1,018.3 KB · Views: 43
Yes its a 4" Jap tailpipe. I will see what they say. Or i might take it to another garage.

Last edited:
Ok so how much would it cost for a Lambda Sensor?

Tried searching but cant find anything about a price??:confused:

Re: Failed MOT!! *UPDATE* :(

Driving from work this Lunch time! Sitting at traffic lights felt a vibration under the car didnt think much of it!
The lights go green n when i put my foot on the accleerator it sounds like a tank! Carry on driving untill i reach my road! Pulled over opened my door left the car running looked under the car and could see that where the exhuast meets the manifold it come loose.

Do you think this has something to do with my car failing its MOT? or is it a bit of an unlucky coincidence!!(n)

Re: Failed MOT!! *UPDATE* :(

In my opinion that can be or not unlucky coincidence, if the exhaust was slighty loose when they did the testing, it can affect the readings, you should get a second opinion about that failed emmisions log just to make sure everything is like they said.But its rather dumb they advise you to put the airbox, it will not make any difference in the lambda reading, even the standard backbox is a bit strange thats only advised when the rear backbox have a bore, normally they should see your injectors and combustion chambers, even real messed up spark plugs can change lambda readings.

Oh just found from my dad that the exhaust is not loose is has snapped off part way up the maifold!!:bang: How this has happened i do not know??

dolman17 said:
Oh just found from my dad that the exhaust is not loose is has snapped off part way up the maifold!!:bang: How this has happened i do not know??

After a replacement i believe you'll not have more failed lambda readings. :D

Back