What would happend if you lied about points on your licence?

Currently reading:
What would happend if you lied about points on your licence?

Shenzo

What would happend if you lied about points on your licence and said you had non to an insurer?

I don't know if they run any sort of checks with the DVLA etc to see if you have points or not. If you took out a policy with an insurer and they later find out you lied about something like license points, then they'd probably invalidate your policy (n)

Shenzo said:
What would happend if you lied about points on your licence and said you had non to an insurer?

you have no points :eek:

you shouldnt have a liscence then :p

On a more serious note, what chaos said + i believe insurers do check you out, its better to be safe than sorry (y)

If you got your policy invalidated then you would need some serious money to get insurance in the future. You may also have your details passed to the police for fraud, driving without insurance etc.

Insurance aint fair. It's a legal requirement but the companies can charge what they like. We're over a barrel but there is nowt we can do about it.

you wouldnt have insurance as the info you gave them is not correct, they will only insure you if the info given is true, so its obviously not so no insurance!

Oh and you will get caught out so dont do it!

Fiat Fan said:
im sure they will check that sort of thing out

They only check points when you have a crash and its your fault - basically when they have to pay out. They'll send off to the dvla for information on you (including your points, type of license, length held etc) and if the information doesnt link to what you said on your policy they wont pay out simple as.

Last edited:
If you get an IN10 (Using a vehicle uninsured against third party risks), try ringing insurers and getting quotes. More than likely they will laugh at you and put the phone down.
I know of someone (a girl in her 20s called Sam :chin: ... but not THAT one :D ) who got an IN10. She couldn't get insured at all for a year or two after gtting her license back. When she did find people who would quote her, the quotes were well into 4 figures...
H

hmallett said:
If you get an IN10 (Using a vehicle uninsured against third party risks), try ringing insurers and getting quotes. More than likely they will laugh at you and put the phone down.
I know of someone (a girl in her 20s called Sam :chin: ... but not THAT one :D ) who got an IN10. She couldn't get insured at all for a year or two after gtting her license back. When she did find people who would quote her, the quotes were well into 4 figures...
H
I have an IN10 and 2 more offences on top of that and my policy was just over 2k at 19 with no ncb.

It's easy to lie to insurers but if you claim you wont get $hit.

fisel said:
I have an IN10 and 2 more offences on top of that and my policy was just over 2k at 19 with no ncb.

It's easy to lie to insurers but if you claim you wont get $hit.

:idea: :confused:

black_cinq said:
They only check points when you have a crash and its your fault - basically when they have to pay out. They'll send off to the dvla for information on you (including your points, type of license, length held etc) and if the information doesnt link to what you said on your policy they wont pay out simple as.

And some don't even check then, think about it. if someone was giving you over £150 a month and you had earned £2000 out of them and they had a minor prang... would you be bothered to check up on them with all that profit????

naaaa mate.

I think the only times they check is if you cause a serious injury or rather large accident.

Don't quote me on that but thats just in the experiences I've heard of to date. Tonnes of people driving around with flase declarations to get motor insurance and tonnes of those people have had accidents and that same heavy weight of people still drive with no reprocutions.

I'm sure some companies probably do check, usually by asking for a copy of your license and plenty of us are good with *photoshop, after its photocopied whos gonna know? :p

*Disclaimer: you didn't read that from me.

cc1 said:
If you have enough money, You don't need insurance.
It is compulsory to have third party insurance to use a car on the road in the UK.
It's also somewhat difficult to get Road Tax without an insurance certificate...
H

fisel said:
Long story but i've already been knocked pretty hard for it on here :cool:
Yeah I had that when I joined and tried to explain something regarding Insurance :rolleyes:

hmallett said:
It is compulsory to have third party insurance to use a car on the road in the UK.
It's also somewhat difficult to get Road Tax without an insurance certificate...
H
Its difficult but not impossible. There are many routes which could be discussed in person ;)

Shenzo said:

I have done the same thing myself but luckly nothing happened and i was able to correct it when i had to renew my insurance however i dont think they look at point unless there is an acciedent and if you are involved and its Not your fault you will prob find that you will be covered but they would make it difficult and may find that they may not want to renew ur policy but still not really worth the risk as if it is your fault then your knackered.

Best advice call them up admit your forgot to put that on and get them to adment your policy

I work in the seedy world of insurance, and have read these comments with interest...

The long and the short of it is that when you enter into a contract of insurance, you do so with what is termed 'utmost good faith.' It is assumed that the information you give is correct and that you declare anything that may alter the underwriter's decision to insure you and the premium you should pay.

If it turns out that you have witheld a material fact (one which affects their decision to insure you) your policy will most likely be cancelled from inception, with all premiums returned to you. Although this sounds not so bad, it means that when you look for another quote you won't find one.

If you did have an accident, they would indeed refuse to pay your claim. And bearing in mind that the cost of a damaged or even written off car pales into insignificance to the potential cost of a third party claim for damages (including legal costs, which would be covered otherwise), I would suggest that your premium doesn't represent such bad value for money after all.

In short, don't lie. They will find out, and you will end up bankrupt.

Don't lie to the insurance company, if anything happens you need the cover and if they can get out of paying you they will.
Terrible accidents can and do happen, followed by very expensive legal actions, it's just not worth the risk.

Back