General Impossible Bulb Change

Currently reading:
General Impossible Bulb Change

poggy

It was broken, honest
Hi,

I went to fill the screen bottle with fluid today and noticed a black cap lying just behind the headlight on the passenger side. After having a look around it looks like it belonged at the back of the fog light. I could see no way to get it on, so I read the manual will just says you unclip the cover replace bulb and put it back. Anyway there is absolutely no way you can get the cover on or off with the healight in place as there is no room. This means the headlight has to be unbolted to replace either the indicator or fog light bulb. Surely this is the most stupid design ever seen.

I also know why the cap was lying behind the headlight, it had obviously been forgotten during the build and just put in the engine bay as the fitter on the production line couldn't get it on without removing the headlight. There is no way it could have fallen off as it would have just dropped on the floor.

As for the manual !!!!!!!!. What else did they forget to fit.

Poggy

My manual states that engine components may need to be removed in order to change bulbs. I have to remove the air intake pipe to even see the back of my n/s headlight.:(

Dave. :)

Marea 2.0 20v
FIATcentral window sticker, silver poppy coral, titanium tax disc.
Blue gaiters, Blue sidelights, Blue interior lights, Blue lacquer on engine, feeling blue ;)
Ecotek fitted, removed and waiting for warm weather
So much to do, so little time.... and Totally Skint!! :(

Hi,

It may be impossible, but lots of cars are built the same way. I have a Mondeo, and to replace any bulbs in that you have to firstly take out the front grill, etc, just to get the front light cluster out! Stupid, I know, but seems to be the norm...

Funnily enough, I refilled my washer bottle up at weekend. I am surprised Telematics doesn't sense it is empty!

Stuart

Hi,

Either that or the machanism for removal is so flimsy that the lights don't stay where they should be (as I had with the front indicator lights on my last car (Renault Espace).

John

i think it was a recent VW(can't remember which) that the bumper has to come of to change the bulb! now thats unbelievable imagine on the motorway your headlamp bulb goes and you get a bulb from the services and have to take the bumper off in the rain(it would almost always be raining!)

The Fiat Cinquecento
Fun While It Runs

Hi,

The manual is a bit of a joke though, as it gives detail of how to remove the cover etc but not how to remove the headlight etc.

I suppose if a bulb goes you can wait until dark and ask the AA to change it as they have to because you can't drive with a broken light. It would be cheaper than a £40 Fiat labour bill.

Poggy

Back