Technical 1.6 Tempra dies when hot

Currently reading:
Technical 1.6 Tempra dies when hot

Ziomike

My tempra dies when it gets hot, ie idling in traffic. When it gets hot enough for the radiator fan to kick in, it dies a bit later. It will then crank but not fire up. Iv'e noticed this happen whilst driving along, the rev meter drops to zero but no lights come on and it coasts to a stop. If you wait 10mins or so for something to cool down it will restart and drive ok. If I'm in traffic I have to have the heater on full blast to keep it cool.

Any ideas, the TDC sensor has been changed as that was the problem with my Tipo, but on this car it has not cured the problem. It seems to be an electrical problem but what ?. I was told to thoroughly clean the carb which I have done, I also checked all the connections and that the sensors were working, but have not found the problem yet.

Only just seen this, I've had this happen to me 2 times in the life time of my Tipo but its never been serious enough to have to get inspected.

Its happened to a couple of Tipo owners before, do a search you might find something.

I personally think its a moisture problem somewhere.

Ziomike

1. check your ECU or just change from another engine which you are sure it is working well
  2. Possible also to be the top dead center sensor

Was just thinking, in relation to another thread, It might be a possibilty that wwhen hot Your engine is continuing to suck in warm air.

This might be result of faulty temp sonsors which suck in warm air on a cold engine and are meant to close and allow cold air only when your engine warms up.

There should be a Hose that goes from near the Exhaust Manifold at the back of the engine to the Air Box.. Remove it and see if this helps.

Cold starts might be a problem and the engine will take longer to warm up but it shouldn't stall.

Yeah our Tipo did the same thing for a while a year ago, just suddenly stalled now and then but it stopped all of a sudden without doing anything about it. cause we couldnt find any faults. wonder if my tempra will do the same

Over the last few weeks I've been through every part of this blasted engine and ignition system. The TDC sensor was changed straight away as this was the fault for the same problem on my previous Tipo. The coil has been changed. I've checked all the sensors, replaced a load of pipes, Etc, it still dies, but not allways related to temp I now think.

I'm at the point of dumping the blasted thing, anyway I'm looking for another car this one is just not reliable, pity if it wern't for this problem I would not be looking to change it especially as the MOT is due (so far it's never failed, doubt that now)

After several weeks of checks, into the garage more than once, multiple bits changed, the only thing left is the ECU, a replacement is nearly £400, none of the scrappies have one, the car is worth zilch so it's off to the graveyard.

Anyone for parts ?, everything works except for this bloody ignition, andall the tyres have less than 2000 miles on them.

Curiousley I have this inclination that the problem is worst when the tank is below quarter full, fuel scavenging problem in the tank?. Full tank and it never seems to quit, and sharp bends seem to make it cough.

The symptoms sound very similar of which I experienced a couple of times...

It sounds like there's a problem with the EGR valve. (not sure though from which year on it has been in use on Tempra, mine is 1996)

EGR valve recirculates some of the exhaust air back in to the airintake in order to burn some of the nitrous oxides twice. This will make the car more environmental friendly (and at the same time you'll loose a little power).

This valve should only be open when you're engine is hot and you have enough revs. If the valve get's stuck open it will cause the engine to suffocate with low revs and it won't start again until the valve is closed.

In my case I just disconnected the plug from the EGR-valve and everything worked fine. In a while the fuel injection indicator light (which will be lit all the time if you do this) started to bug me too much and I reconnected the valve...Never had that problem again, which is curious...

And, I wouldn't recommend you to try to get more power from your car by bypassing the EGR-valve. It's not worth it, you can't feel the difference in the performance.

Many thanks to those that replied, but this car has now gone to the great scrapheap in the sky, but not before it "donated" quite a few of its organs for our other 2 Tempras.

It would seem after a lot of trying this and changing that, that the problem was in the ecu and as these are as rare as rocking horse do do and very expensive even secondhand, we decided to scrap it. It's been replaced with a 1.9Tds, which was my eventual aim anyway. Having had petrol Tipos and Tempras and diesel Tempras, we have found the diesels much more forgiving, and easier to repair. Fancy electronics and engines are not a match made in heaven.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Back