General fitting fog lights into a punto made without them

Currently reading:
General fitting fog lights into a punto made without them

i have fitted a new colour coded bumper onto my punto s 60, it came with fog lights which i want to fire up.

i could proberly find a circuit diagram of how to wire them up but! i think i might just do it myself and see if it works.

the plan:
now the punto has a fog light on the back in the lights, so im thinking i might just take a wire from this light and put it straight into the front 2 fog lights creating a circuit whcih comes on when i press the fog light button, i could simply fit a switch into the front lights so i can control them aswell.

what do you think?????

no no as oyur splicing in high output lights into a circuit most likely not designed for the load.
if the wiring isnt there already then you have a few options.wire the earth connections to the bodywork.
the live connection you can run to a relay.
earth that relay to the body work
now for the live ot the relay oyu can either take it from an ignition live or from the lights circuit so it can only be live with thew lights on.
you will need to fit a switch into that live wire as well,to keep the OE looks get a front fog switch from the scrappy's

I did as custard described. Used a wriing kit from Halfords (came with relay etc), forgot the name, fastfit kit or something? Then went to the scrapyard for a switch panel (plenty knocking around). I wired the relay to the switch panel, but at the same time tapped it to the illumination circuit of the switch panel. This way, the fogs can only work with the sidelights or more turned on. I remember having to break a rail and hard wiring the wire to the circuit board and trialling and erroring to get the LED to light and everything to work on the switch panel. It would probabaly be alot easier to wire it to ignition live like custard said.

I've done the same thing buying a colour coded bumper with fog lights, I have also brought a facia with the buttons on. I just need to wire it up, which I happen to be useless at and the garage say it will cost about £60. I have also been told to get a quote from an auto-electrician but I am certain they will charge too much. Anyone in the Leicester area want to earn them selves a few quid... :rolleyes:

funny them auto electritions as I went in asking for an automotive connector (you know the two prong yellow black and red jobs) and they didn't have any, didn't have any sort of ecu wiring loom connectors or anything!!!:eek:

you know what they use! spade connectors and insulation tape:eek: , I don't fancy my 52pin volvo ecu wiring all been held togehter with individual spades, think of the size and number of possible dodgy connections, and water ingress!:eek:

I tried to wire up my fogs and I have more or less given up, they only work with ignition on and headlights off, turn headlights on and they won't work:confused:
my electrical skills are somewhat retarded

Back