General engine design

Currently reading:
General engine design

Chimerra

Anyone know why the exaust minifold has a feed to the intake/air filter on my 55S? Im puzzled why this is as there seems lots of cons and no benefits to such a odd engineering design![?]:I

at a guess it will connect onto the cold air feed via a thermostatic valve (or manual flap with winter/summer setting) that regulates the inlet air temp.

Dave. :)

Marea 2.0 20v
FIATcentral window sticker
Blue gaiters, Blue sidelights, Blue interior lights, Blue lacquer on engine, feeling blue ;)
Ecotek fitted, removed and waiting for warm weather
So much to do, so little time.... and Totally Skint!! :(

Your correct in saying its useless, if you replace the air filter with an aftermarket K&N there is no inlet so you just toss away the pipe. I would guess its because the original air filter doenst pass enough air through the engine so this little tube sucks extra air straight from the air filter to trick the lambada sensor, with an aftermarket air filter letting through more cold air there is no need for this. That is my guess, sounds like a load of b*ll*cks doesnt it

Sensible mods go far

The little pipe from the manifold is supposed to channel warm air from the manifold into the engine to help it warm up on cold days. It is, of course, completely ineffective (as you won't get much warm air until the engine is hot - and by that time it's unnecessary) and you can safely junk it. My old 903cc Uno had a similar thing and that also made sod-all difference to the running of the engine.

I put a K&N on my 55SX in the summer, and it starts, runs and warms up as well as it did with the standard airbox and daft pipe on it, even when it's well below zero outside.

------/F/I/A/T/------

Fart In A Tin
<font color="orange">1994 Punto 55SX, metallic red with black bumpers, 3-door, small, Italian and beautiful! </font id="orange">

Back