Styling What safely removes tree sap?

Currently reading:
Styling What safely removes tree sap?

Damo

Hi chaps,

Been told by Fiat that the reason my passenger wing feels a bit weird is that it has tree sap on it (must be from the previous owner). They say to remove it with T-Cut. I'm not sure if this is such a wise move and was wondering if anything is recommended for this?

I've polished it using Autoglym Super resin polish and it didn't take it off and neither did Zymol Cleaner Wax but these aren't really abrasive[:0]

Ta

2001 Seicento Sporting Micheal Schumacher Ltd Edtion

"In severe cases Turpentine may be used to break down the resin in tree sap. However, you must be very careful, use as a last resort only and use sparingly and DO NOT rub hard. Remember Turpentine is made from tree sap, give it some time to work."

found this on google.

"shoot it with some WD40"

Seicento : Yellow : 1108
Cool As Penguin ****

Well....I probably will use some T-Cut once the weather gets a bit better, I must say though I did use a bit of white spirit to remove some tar once!

I got some Autoglym Paint Renovator which i used for my bonnet as it was fading fast. Brought the shine out again, and i think 1 more application and it will match the wings again. As for the roof....well i think thats too far gone :(

Another day...another problem...

Auto Glym Paint Renovator is quite abrasive and if not used carefully can leave quite a distinctive mark (too much pressure!)

T-Cut is still one of the best paint treatments I know of. Make sure you have the right one for the job though!! The red bottle will ruin metallic paint if left to dry, so use the specific metallic one if your car isn't a base colour?

If your car is a base colour (yellow, red....) then the red bottle T-cut is GREAT!! Make sure you rub with an even pressure at all times, and leave to dry thoroughly before polishing off with a clean cloth. Use a coat or three (min. of two coats!) of polish to add protection to the freshly exposed paint.

One problem with T-cutting a panel is it can make the other panels look old/discoloured/faded. If you're like me, you'll end up T-cutting the whole car to give it a TOP shine, followed by a few coats of polish.....[8D][8D]

ANOTHER way to remove the bird sap is to use the 'petrol' based lighter fluid (the sort used to fill up Zippo's) This stuff is GREAT at removing all manner of sticky residue from things like labels, tar, tree sap etc.... I always keep a tin in the house for cleaning up pressie's that I've just peeled the label off.

Good luck cleaning it up,

Bruce.

z1-anim.gif

i'd use wd40. great for removing tar too. hot wash the car afterwards. don't use turpentine

99 Brava 100 HSX with not enough mods

I've used autoglym tar remover on mine in the past - works great but you still have to re polish where you've treated the paint

Broom yellow 2001 sporting, with Abarth kit, delocked, ICE, Tints, ITG filter, and err thats about it!

Yey i would recommend Auto glym, the window cleaner cleans up most things and doesnt harm the paintwork either.

Red limited edition Sei sporting abarth,lowered35mm,janspeed exhaust,strutbrace,tints,graphics,induction kit,rally mudflaps,neons,lge spec ice,full bodykit,etech spoiler,14 momo alloys,custom no.plate,de badged at rear,abarth badges, smoked front/side indicators,twin headlights,pedal extentions,wheel spacers, front splitters

Dont know about tree sap frombodywork but how do you remove man sap from the seats? ;)

Matt

54 BHP of pure italian muscle

Jst found out that auto glym do a cleaner especially for tree sap. think its called sticky stuff remover, try Halfords. xx

Red limited edition Sei sporting abarth,lowered35mm,janspeed exhaust,strutbrace,tints,graphics,induction kit,rally mudflaps,neons,lge spec ice,full bodykit,etech spoiler,14 momo alloys,custom no.plate,de badged at rear,abarth badges, smoked front/side indicators,twin headlights,pedal extentions,wheel spacers, front splitters

Well thanks everyone.

As my car was getting sorted by Fiat this morning I popped into Halfords and got some Turtle Wax Tar/Bug/Tree Sap remover and "kinda" polish.

Too wet and cold to try it now though......roll on Spring!!!

safest and environmentally friendliest way is simply HUGE amounts of hot water (Very b****y hot)

I work for a Ford dealership, most of our forecourt is beneath trees, we have the cars washed at least every other day with water so hot there's only 1 bloke here who is sensless enough to be able to stand it.

Alternatively, try NOT parking under the tree!!!:D

Life is like a box of chocolates, i always get left with coffee creams.

Remember, car salesmen are human too!

Yea that's what I was gonna say - you need to be VERY VERY careful with it, but when my car got gunked up, I used wet n dry from Halfords then used TCut to make sure the paint was fine - cleaned the paintwork up and now it shines like a cue ball!

Back