Technical Central locking failing

Currently reading:
Technical Central locking failing

Kensho

Hi there,

I've been having some problems on my fiat brava's electrical system; from awhile, my central locking system stopped working - no it's not lack of battery on the remote.. this is what happens... I lock the doors (wether with the key, or the remote) and the second after, it unlocks again. It seems somehow that one of the doors is giving back a "not-well-closed" error, or something... sometimes it works, so, it's not a constant error. Another thing it started to happen, is that the remote control only works for locking... it doesn't unlock. I fixed this by removing the fuse that controls the central locking system, but with this action, the radio doesn't work... I know that if I unmount the glove compartment and remove a component (can't remember it's name in english, sorry) I disconnect the central locking system, and can put the fuse back on, but then, I will have no central locking system lol... Anyone had similar experiences? Any solutions? I know this error is not traced by plugging the car to the machine (i've done it already), and if I put the car in the garage, they will charge me lots for something they probably don't know how to fix (it has happened before)...

Thanks in advance...

Goncalo Cordeiro

Hi Kensho and welcome to the forum :D

You have mentioned the most likely fault for the doors unlocking themselves, a poor connection on one of the door detection switches. This could also affect the remote unlocking, but I am not sure if that affects all doors or just the one that it thinks is open.

I think the component you mean is a relay.

When I had a similar problem I had to give the passenger door an extra pull shut. The problem went away by itself?

It does not sound an easy problem to fix without checking all the door wiring. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.:I

Dave. :)

Marea 2.0 20v
FIATcentral window sticker
Blue gaiters, Blue sidelights, Blue interior lights, Blue lacquer on engine, feeling blue ;)
Ecotek fitted, removed and waiting for warm weather
So much to do, so little time.... and Totally Skint!! :(

Thanks for the reply, first of all.

Yes, the component I meant is a relay :) sorry, but couldn't quite remember it. The problem sometimes goes away by itself... I sometimes opened and closed all the doors, and it would lock again. But something is not very well there, because it keeps coming. I will try to check the connections on the doors, to see if there's something wrong in it. If I can't find anything, it's probably something outside the door circuit that jams it.. at least, that's my thinking...

Thanks for the reply, and I will give feedback soon. :)

Goncalo Cordeiro

Hello :)

I have the same problem in my Punto 1995. I'm trying to sort out the roblem, by checking the relay, but I thin it has something to do with locking/unlocking sensors. Could you find the solution?? Maybe it could help me! :)

Luis

The locking/unlocking is simply done by grounding either of the two control wires, the other one locks, the other one unlocks.
On factory fitted it is usually wired to both front doors, not sure about punto, but the system should be similar.

You are right, I haven't think about grounding. But I'm not sure about how to check it. Should I look for wires connected to the door itself and clean them, or reconnect them to the door (if they are broken)?

Back