Technical Distributor

Currently reading:
Technical Distributor

dave said:
it adjusts the ignition timing, you need a strobe to set it right, dont play with it :nono:
Its been played with like, 1 million times.

Further question, even if the strobe says that its timed correctly, could certain modifications or fuel grades invalidate the Strobe/Flywheel collaboration?

How would I know if I needed to advance or retard the timing?

er, i dont want to pee on anyone here, but if its a 1600 tipo, its fitted with digiplex 2 module. the ignition is not adjustable. if the module is faulty [ fiat can test it] then it needs replacing. the distributer just fires the plugs. moving it around does nothing to the timing.:)

sumplug said:
er, i dont want to pee on anyone here, but if its a 1600 tipo, its fitted with digiplex 2 module. the ignition is not adjustable. if the module is faulty [ fiat can test it] then it needs replacing. the distributer just fires the plugs. moving it around does nothing to the timing.:)
I thought this also, but everyone keeps telling me different things about my mad Tipo, its like it don't know its parents, its so confused :(

The ECU is fine I had it tested recently. so what exactly does moving the distributor around do? cause when I fiddled I could create over run when I switch off the ignition, as in the engine tried to keep running.

ok, is it fitted with digiplex 2 [silver box fitted to left hand side] ? if so, the ignition is controled via this module. put a strobelight on the flywheel and check the timing marks. if they are out, the module is faulty or you cambelt timing is out. moving the dizzy around should do nothing. to prove the dizzy does something when you move it opposite rotation, the idle should go up and engine will pink due to the timing being too advanced, and visa versa moving the other way. i very much doubt you have a conventional dizzy, not with digiplex 2 anyway. it is italian though, so i never rule out anything!! :D

the distributor casing you have is just that..an empty case, all it does is distribute the spark via the rotor arm it will alter the spark timing if you move it....yes you can move it with the engine running as a general rule it should be set with the nut in the middle of the slot. as said before also check your timing and the vacum pipe to the digiplex unit(if fitted)

Back