Pioneer vs. Alpine?

Currently reading:
Pioneer vs. Alpine?

Hey there everyone. I've come to a bit of a standstill and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice/opinions.

Bascially, (for a Doblo) I'm torn between getting a Pioneer head unit, or an Alpine head unit. The two units in question are: Alpine, Pioneer.

In a way I prefer Pioneers units as many people I know have them and love the sound, but when I saw this Alpine with built in iPod connection (no need for an external adapter) it made me think well just how good are Alpines.

So really I'm looking for your opinions on Pio's over Alpines and what you think is the best :) Cheers in advance!

I have an Apline and if you have the dosh thats what i would recomend, especially the iPod connectivity one's they are pretty cheap at the moment and i always prefer the sound qualityfrom these units compared with other brands.

but the pioneer give a more bassy sound i find. TBH it all depends on your own tastes, personaly i'd go for the Alpine. but the new pioneer iPod connectivity unit is also very tastey, it's just a shame you dont get the lead in the box... i think it's another 60 odd quid for that part..

Some people say that they have proplems controling that alpine unit, they have tryed to make a slide bar that works like the wheel on n iPod but it's not as responsive, and definatly not set up for changing tracks on the move.

Last edited:
Yeah it's £56 I think for the iPod box, it's not essential but i'd like that connectivity in the near future. Not that it's a problem for me but also with the pioneer you've gotta find a place to and install the little box behind the dash... The alpine just seemed so easy and I do like the look of it. Cheers to you both :)

*note* That particular Alpine unit does not come with the slide bar but thanks for the info :)*

Last edited:
Well personally I think Alpine are very oversated, their bottom end stuff is poorly put together, the top end stuff is decent put expensive.

Pioneer, never really had nothing from them so cant comment, although that unit looks a lot nicer to the eye than the alpine one

Ozzie1989 said:
also with the pioneer you've gotta find a place to and install the little box behind the dash... The alpine just seemed so easy and I do like the look of it. Cheers to you both :)

to my knowlade the alpine unit has a "connects2" box that needs putting somewhere, but this is about the size of a fag pack so should be easily tucked away

EDIT: yeah sorry i was thinking aobut a different unit, this one doens't have the slide (good thing) BUT IT DOES CHANGE COLOUR!!! thats pretty damn cool... but thats the kind of thing i look for in a radio... because i'm sad......
*hangs head in shame*

OHH OHH, also, the round dial pushes in and out, which is fun to play with..

Last edited:
Nah, this one just has a lead from the head unit with an iPod dock connector on the end, it was made so that no box had to be put behind the dash. That's why I was thinkin it's easier. I'm still torn :eek: think I'll have to sleep on it for a few more days or weeks lol :)

*Edit: I also picked up on those :p thought i'd save myself the embarrasment but what the hell! We gotta have a few things to play with aint we :D*

Last edited:
TBH I don't think you'll go far wrong with either :)

Yeah I think I agree. Well thanks to you all for your help and a mention to OXCiD3 for his input. Still if anyone has any opinions feel free :) Cheers again!

AppleSei said:
Well personally I think Alpine are very oversated, their bottom end stuff is poorly put together, the top end stuff is decent put expensive.

Pioneer, never really had nothing from them so cant comment, although that unit looks a lot nicer to the eye than the alpine one

Psh you have as sony headunit dont you? Argument finished :p

And i wouldnt exactly say there top end stuff is expensive the 9855R can be had for £250 new. Alpine arent over rated its just so many people buy the top of the range unit dont know what half the options do or how to get to the pro menus and thus dont set it up properly. It literally took days of fine tuning to get mine as i want it and i still end up changing EQ's all the time now.

took me awhile to get the my alpine setup, currently can't find the face for it, so no tunes at all, but coupled to diamond audio kit.... it's faultless

Looks like the alpine is the way to go then :) although when I look at them I prefer the look of the Pio. Maybe I should look at a different Alpine model... ahhh I don't know lol :) Cheers all!

wozza said:
Psh you have as sony headunit dont you? Argument finished :p

And i wouldnt exactly say there top end stuff is expensive the 9855R can be had for £250 new.

I didnt know we was all wedged to fook on this forum :rolleyes:

I have an alpine with glide touch and the ipod adapter, i dont av any probs with any of it i cant fault it, i cant speak on behalf of everyone but my experience with alpine from headunits to amps has been great im now looking at subs by alpine as well as components

AppleSei said:
I didnt know we was all wedged to fook on this forum :rolleyes:

The same sony unit you have used to be around £200. Not exactly a cheap headunit either. I just dont think the newer alpine gear is expensive compared to there older headunits which used to retail around the £400 mark. £250 doesnt seem that bad for there flagship unit.

Considering the most expensive sony is over £400, Pioneer is around £700 And you can pick up alpine units for less than £100 new.

Wish i did actually have some cash unfortunately i have a car and apartment to pay for and uni i just saved up a while to get my audiogear. Id rather buy higher end stuff and wait for it than make do and buy cheaper stuff.

crazydave said:
I have an alpine with glide touch and the ipod adapter, i dont av any probs with any of it i cant fault it, i cant speak on behalf of everyone but my experience with alpine from headunits to amps has been great im now looking at subs by alpine as well as components

Dont look at there subs theres better for the cash and components are too xpensive for what they are would be better going with some focal or rainbow components around the same price will give better sound. Subs all depends how much you wanna spend RE subs are some of the best around. You got a specific budget in mind about what you want to spend?

Last edited:
I know I'm late but just thought I'd add some constructive comments.... Pioneer all the way.... Biatches! :p

No seriously Pioneer have never failed to tump any speakers. Excellent sound and stunning Visuals. They make even the cheapest £5 speakers sound like top quality stolen goods, Excellent after sales help also.

Pioneer head units till I die... or someone makes one better :cool:

wozza said:
Dont look at there subs theres better for the cash and components are too xpensive for what they are would be better going with some focal or rainbow components around the same price will give better sound. Subs all depends how much you wanna spend RE subs are some of the best around. You got a specific budget in mind about what you want to spend?

RE and Diamond are good..................... :)

chaos said:
RE and Diamond are good..................... :)

Re and diamond are some of the best gear you can get. Rianbow are well up there admittedly the higher end stuff starts to cost and is seriously for diehard audio entusiasts and competitors. When a set of components costs upwards of £6500 you should know your getting something a little bit special lol.

Looks like the Pioneer then, I saw an Alpine today and the buttons were really small *looks at hands* an I have big fingers... Didn't feel expensive althought it didn't feel cheap.

Pioneers buttons are much more sturdy and they do go on forever! We shall see :) again, thanks to all of you for your input :)

Back