General Mareas and High Mileage?

Currently reading:
General Mareas and High Mileage?

I spotted something today that tempted me, and that's dangerous given that I've just sold my Brava and have cash in my pocket. :D

It's a Marea 2.4 Weekend.

I'm not that clued in about the Fiat diesels. Is this a TD or a JTD?

Also, it's got 104k on it, how do they stand up to that sort of mileage and what life would it have left if looked after?

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WW...urce=0&photo=1&sort=3&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH

A good Diesel engine if looked after properly, ie:- regular fuel filter & Engine oil/ Filter change, with semi synthetic or synthetic oil, (I Know its expensive but what price on a repair or recon' engine??) should see a diesel last 250K, also change coolant make sure its at correct strength with a good inhibitor will also stop nasty white furr clogging up your water gallery & pump hope this helps:D (y)

Diesel Doc said:
A good Diesel engine if looked after properly, ie:- regular fuel filter & Engine oil/ Filter change, with semi synthetic or synthetic oil, (I Know its expensive but what price on a repair or recon' engine??) should see a diesel last 250K, also change coolant make sure its at correct strength with a good inhibitor will also stop nasty white furr clogging up your water gallery & pump hope this helps:D (y)

That does help, thanks very much. (y)

Little help maybe, but my 2.0 petrol one has 104,000 miles on and still runs sweet. Had to do the rear discs and pads, but otherwise mechanically it's really good.

I don't think they normally get caned, they aren't your usual boy racer car.

So long as it has a comprehensive history file, and hopefully has had the belt changes etc (dear god if it hasnt) and its a good price, then it should be ok :)

Here ye boy ye. You don't believe me when I tell you about a good car.. The Jtd is a little bit better on fuel economy and a little perkier. Have you forgotten I had one. Water pumps can indeed go usually around 80k. Just listen to it. If the bearing is going you will hear it and look for dampness around the seal. Because of the heavy engine the only other things to look out for are front wishbones going, you'll know they are on their way out by a clonking noise from the front.
Oh and boot locks on the estate can break the little clip inside which then doesn't let the central locking lock the boot.

Now if I get this Merc away you'll have a fight on yer hands cause I'll buy it if it's still there and I don't buy my old Sedicivalvole back.

Do you want me to go with you to look at it?

hiya

We have the 2.4 JTD and it is a great engine, but the one you are looking at is the TD the 2.4 came in both depending on year. I think the JTD was introduced in around 1999 or 2000.

Ours has 108K on it and still runs fine, as other have said with regular servicing these engines can go for ever and it takes some work to thrash them, as with all the torque they have they can pretty much handle anything.

If you see a genuine 2.4 JTD grab it as they are like hens teeth.

Bah looks like I'm too late. As people have said that is a 2.4 5 cylinder turbo diesel. The more tractor-like cousin of the 2.4 JTD 5 cyclinder.

I looked for a 2.4 JTD for ages before I gave up and got the 1.9 JTD. Mine is around the 100k mark and no issues apart from the tailgate not closing without giving it a thump.

IF IT'S ANY CONSOLATION I JUST BOUGHT A MAREA WEEKEND JTD 1.9 105 SX
WITH 117K ON THE CLOCK.
I think it has been well maintained it is a v/2000 plate and after a couple of days seems ok but i only paid £1000 so if i had to spend a bit i would not mind
it came with 11 months mot as well.

Back