Technical Rear noise when moving off

Currently reading:
Technical Rear noise when moving off

Paddy_Punto

Hi,
I have a 5-door 1.2 2000 punto. If I have more than the driver in the car, there is a sort of grinding noise from the back when the car is moving off. Sounds like metal rubbing. The noise is coming from outside and can not be re-created by bouncing the car. The more people in the car, the louder the noise is. The noise only happens when moving from a stopped position or when turning round corners at slow speeds. The exhaust has recently been replaced (the noise was there before). After the exhaust, I have brought the car back and they are unable to find where the noise is coming from. They have also rechecked the alignment of the exhaust and the spare wheel, and have also replaced the rear driver side ball bearings.
Any help would be great!
Thanks.

Given that it seems to be affected by load, my guess is that something somewhere is fouling a suspension component. My dad's Rover suffered similar when someone was sat in the passenger seat and he turned lock to lock. Turns out something to do with the power steering had somehow come unstuck and was just rubbing slightly.

Just a guess but maybe worth checking out.

Spirito di Punto | M-reg 55SX, black, 5dr.

Back