Got my licenece & now car wont move

Currently reading:
Got my licenece & now car wont move

Fiat_SX

Hi!

In november i passed my test, and unfortunatly, due to being short of cash, i was not able to insure my car :(

Anyway on friday i was offered a job starting dec 10th, so my mum decides to let me insure my car in my name, basic thrid party,so i can get to work (naturally :p). So, with everything looking great i thought nothing could possibly go wrong

Anyway, after we get the insurance done, i decide to take my car for a spin. get in everything is fine, except for there is no biting point or stiffness on the clutch. so i tried putting into 1st, 2nd 3rd 4th 5th reverse, and it wont go into any of the gears when the engine is running.

The handbook says its a self adjusting cable clutch, and it shows a small diagram of what it looks like. Problem is, its impossible to find.

Anyway, to sum up, my cars clutch (which was alrite the alst time we used it) doesnt work, and the car wont change gear. Ive got very littl e money and cannot afford to have the car town away to a garage.

Can any of you guys please help, because i really need the car for wednesday, as this is when my job starts.

if anyone knows anything please help me, im really desperate
;)

any info would be great. Thanks a billion times in advance!!

oh btw, the car is a 1990 1.6 Fiat Tempra SX 'tetra'

A R C

will it go into gear with the engine off?does the clutch just go straight to the floor with no resistance compared to the last time it worked?dont know tempra,s but the adjuster will either be at the top of the clutch pedal(might have to climb right in the drivers footwell) or it will be at the point where the clutch cable connects to the gearbox(at the passenger side of the engine)if the cable has snapped or the adjuster has broken you should see it.hope this helps if not write back on the forum[8D]

The Fiat Cinquecento
Fun While It Runs

Your clutch has bonded itself to the flywheel due to lack of use.

Get the engine warmed up, switch it off. Put the car in the road by whatever means, belt up, and then start the car in first gear. The car will drive off immediately you turn the starter, but once it is moving by engine power, pump the clutch pdeal until it releases.

This needs to be done on a quiet road as it can be dangerous. If it does not clear the first time, switch the ignition off and select reverse and do the same.

Cheers

David

Thanks guys, you're advice is most appreciated.

Well, when the engine is off, you can change gear. When you turn the engine on, and press the clutch right down, you cannot get it into any of the gears, and when you put it in reverse, it grinds!

Wehn you press the clutch, you can only feel a tiny little bit of tension right at the very bottom, but alas its not enough to get it into gear:(

ive looked in the engine bay of aaages, and cannot see anything, even with the torch:(

i'm really really worried now *cries* :(

A R C

not yet, as i have only just read it!!! when i replied or reply he must have been writing his reply!!

thanks mr rally!! its a bit busy and dark at the moment, so i shall try it tomorrow, before the rush hour!!

thanks alot:)

[^]

p.s i shall report back on what happens

thanks again!!

A R C

Back