Technical which air filter?

Currently reading:
Technical which air filter?

NAS

I got a 1.2 8v punto looking to improve performance and sound which air filter should i use K7N air filter or BMC? THNKS FOR ANY ANSWERS!

nAS

I just ordered a BMC replacement air filter so ill let you know what i think when i get it if that helps. From what i hear k&n arent great. But im sure someone on here will know more about them than me.(y)

Cheers broi, let me kno how they go?
nAS

i have a k&n on my punto but when i asked for more performance the filter got ripped

so i recommend spending a little more cash on a good one like a pipcross or bmc people have recommend to me a gsr but i cant find them any where

:slayer:

paulio.harper said:
i have a k&n on my punto but when i asked for more performance the filter got ripped
K&N filters are ok.

But buying a K&N filter and mounting it on the throttle body on top of the engine wont give you more performance though. Im guessing you have the cone on top of the throttle body?

If you have, you need to buy some tubing and direct the cone to somewhere else in the engine bay- somewhere relatively cool with a supply of cold air, like near the grille.

The gsr kit has a piece of tubing with it, thats why its so popular.

You could buy a bob and make your own, or get hold of a rubber elbow. Then route the cone away from the engine using silicone or metal tubing. Theres a few possibilities, some will improve your performance, some wont. It depends entirely what your after and how much money you have to spend.

chrisunoman said:
K&N filters are ok.

But buying a K&N filter and mounting it on the throttle body on top of the engine wont give you more performance though. Im guessing you have the cone on top of the throttle body?

If you have, you need to buy some tubing and direct the cone to somewhere else in the engine bay- somewhere relatively cool with a supply of cold air, like near the grille.

The gsr kit has a piece of tubing with it, thats why its so popular.

You could buy a bob and make your own, or get hold of a rubber elbow. Then route the cone away from the engine using silicone or metal tubing. Theres a few possibilities, some will improve your performance, some wont. It depends entirely what your after and how much money you have to spend.
Chris, quote that post^^ everytime somebody asks the inevitable about air filters (y) Spot on!

Finally got my BMC air filter after a problem with dispatching the order. Instant improvement in accleration, its a lot smoother with no flat spots and the overall acceleration is much quicker. Havent had the chance to take it out on motorway but i dont think it would make a huge difference on the high end of the speedo. Gives a subtle grrrr noise when in 3rd/4th/5th gear, not much difference in sound lower down though, but its a satisfying sound. Think im gonna run a DIY cold air feed into the air intake and see how that goes, just need to locate some suitable tubing! anyone have any suggestions?:)

Thanks mate, i know the type of tubing you mean. I was in homebase earlier lookin for something like that but they didnt have it.Might try halfords tomorrow. When doing a cold air feed should a conical or similar filter be placed on the intake end?I would imagine doing it with or without are both possible but wouldnt having a good air filter on it give the airbox cleaner air? I dont intend on replacing the whole airbox, just want to direct a cold air feed towards the standard intake.for insurance i cant afford to install a proper induction kit (or risk installing one without delaring then getting caught out if i crash it!) Appreciate any feedback on this as i havent done anything like this before.:)

Also,what is the difference between a breather filter and a regular one?

Last edited:
Back