Technical flywheel on a diet

Currently reading:
Technical flywheel on a diet

arc

this is where i stand
flywheels.jpg

:slayer: (y)

and my inlet manifold, now matches the ports on the head!

inlet.jpeg

I had best begin clearing the garage then and building engine hoist and stand etc.

GeX said:
I had best begin clearing the garage then and building engine hoist and stand etc.

yes, yes you should. am back in st annes - will be round in a bit, get kettle on (y)

Adrian - the flywheel is apprx 2kg lighter. that was what i asked them to aim for. will weigh it later if i can find any decent scales

I like that flywheel....like I said whilst I was stroking it in your car!

Is the flywheel balanced now? Did you checked this? Nasty vibrations at high rpms, isn't good for the crankshaft bearings...

arseofbox said:
I like that flywheel....like I said whilst I was stroking it in your car!

sounds rude! but yeah - tis funkeh. shame next time u see me car it won't make that awesome induction noise!

i'm assuming its balanced. place that did it for me do a lot of engine work for road/race cars - so im assuming they balanced it.

re inlet manifold, bad angle. they are smooth. they were stepped as the head ports were bigger than the manifold. ideal solution is new manifold, but as it is now is better than a step!

arc said:
sounds rude! but yeah - tis funkeh. shame next time u see me car it won't make that awesome induction noise!

Awww, shame. It sounds great atm..

arc said:
i'm assuming its balanced. place that did it for me do a lot of engine work for road/race cars - so im assuming they balanced it.

I dunno....when I asked the guy about why they only removed material from the back of the flywheel, he said that removing from the clutch face presented problems as it wears along with the clutch, and if it was machined, it'd need balancing.

iwoulda thought that bit wasnt touched cos if u take that away, the clutch friction plate aint gonna have anything to grip is it :confused: you'd need a modified clutch to take into account the flywheel is different?

arseofbox said:
I dunno....when I asked the guy about why they only removed material from the back of the flywheel, he said that removing from the clutch face presented problems as it wears along with the clutch, and if it was machined, it'd need balancing.

The guy has missed the idea of lightening a flywheel. Of cours you must not take anything of the surface that is covered by the friction plate. Still, you can take off material from the other side, which is furthest away from the centre. The closer to the centre the less performance gain will be from the material taken off.

Whether you take the material off from there or anywhere else the flywheel should be balanced.

Thought as much tbh...I guess it alters the I and J (moments of inertia)values of the flywheel

if you have lightened the flywheel, then to balance it, you need to balance the flywheel, crank and rods together. the flywheel on the punto challenge cars are approx 5kg if memory serves me right.:)

sumplug said:
if you have lightened the flywheel, then to balance it, you need to balance the flywheel, crank and rods together. the flywheel on the punto challenge cars are approx 5kg if memory serves me right.:)

From what Ive been doing on engine balancing recently...yes I would balance the whole lot as one assembly.

Theres a possibility (I would think) that an balanced flywheel on an unbalanced cranktrain could be rather unpredictable!

Andy: the flywheel on arc's car was 6.5kg. Its now around the 4.5kg mark...

Back