Technical Boot/liftgate won't lock

Currently reading:
Technical Boot/liftgate won't lock

BeachDaze

I've searched the forums and see only issues with the boot/liftgate not opening, or problems with a convertible top. I have no issues opening the door. It just won't lock!

This is a 2013 500, no remote keyfob (at least the dealer didn't have one), no ragtop. According to the manual (downloaded as a print copy was not provided either) using the power lock on the doors (pushing the handle in so that the red bar is showing), should lock the boot/liftgate. I have tried that as well using the key in the driver's door to lock the doors. Neither method locks the rear tailgate/boot/liftgate. I have not checked the wiring yet hoping that maybe it's just a fuse (it's never just a fuse).

Would greatly appreciate any advice, links, hints, or at least good vibes!

Peace,
B

There is no boot lock - on Euro cars anyway. If the doors are locked the boot (or hatch) cannot be opened by pressing the button under the handle so it is effectively 'locked'. Only if you have a remote with the boot release button can you open the boot/hatch without unlocking the doors first.

This is assuming your lid does latch when you shut it. If it doesn't, and you can open it without pressing the button, it's probably the familiar hatch wiring failure.

Can you open the boot/hatch without unlocking the doors?

There is no boot lock - on Euro cars anyway. If the doors are locked the boot (or hatch) cannot be opened by pressing the button under the handle so it is effectively 'locked'. Only if you have a remote with the boot release button can you open the boot/hatch without unlocking the doors first.

This is assuming your lid does latch when you shut it. If it doesn't, and you can open it without pressing the button, it's probably the familiar hatch wiring failure.

Can you open the boot/hatch without unlocking the doors?
I managed to find the original window sticker for this vehicle. It did come with a remote keyless system, which was not provided by the dealer. Rough estimate is $400 (USD) for a replacement key and programming. That should fix the issue, as long as the wiring is not also bad!

I managed to find the original window sticker for this vehicle. It did come with a remote keyless system, which was not provided by the dealer. Rough estimate is $400 (USD) for a replacement key and programming. That should fix the issue, as long as the wiring is not also bad!

Ouch! When my wife's remote was stolen a couple of years ago we just decided we could live without it and got a second 'dumb' key.:)

Turns out it was the wiring. Fixed it, but remembering to lock the drivers door with the key every time may be an issue...

Attachments

• PXL_20210918_165218550.jpg
    PXL_20210918_165218550.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 117
Back