General Brake Shoes and Handbrake Cable

Currently reading:
General Brake Shoes and Handbrake Cable

CasLad

I'm attempting to replace both rear wheel brake shoes on my Seicento 1.1 (2001). The handbrake cable was changed less than 12 months ago.
Having done one side only, with new shoes on, shoe springs in, actuater/linkage pivot pin freed and copper greased, and with the drum back on, I can't get the actuater/linkage connected to the handbrake cable without the shoes being tight onto the drum. I've slackened the handbrake adjuster nuts as much as possible and the cable is free here, but still the linkage arm won't pull back enough to connect with the cable without pulling the shoes onto the drum. Any ideas please? I'm only a novice mechanic.
Might it be the cable that is seized up? I assumed that it would be okay being less than 12 months old?
Might it be that I need to release the cable from the other wheel?

While on here, is it possible to remove the shoes without taking off the hub nut when the hub doesn't have cut outs? The other wheel, yet to be done, has such a hub.

Thanks,
Andrew

Have you tried moving the shoes on their friction adjusters?

Basically the pivot point on the shoes are not fixed, they move to give adjustment, but you'll need to lever them.

Thank you David,
No I haven't done anything with the friction adjusters. I've attached a picture. Do you mean the spring held circular piece (arrowed)? If so, is this not fixed and do I have to push a screwdriver through and move it to one side? I've tried this on a shoe that I've not yet installed and I wouldn't say that I could see any movement.
Thanks in advance.
Andrew

Attachments

• Brake Shoe.png
    Brake Shoe.png
    105.1 KB · Views: 147
Thank you David,
No I haven't done anything with the friction adjusters. I've attached a picture. Do you mean the spring held circular piece (arrowed)? If so, is this not fixed and do I have to push a screwdriver through and move it to one side? I've tried this on a shoe that I've not yet installed and I wouldn't say that I could see any movement.
Thanks in advance.
Andrew
You fit the shoes, then literally lever them in so that the drum only just clears.
Is the handbrake cable moving freely at the brake end?

Odd you are having that issue. I have always struggled to get the handbrake tight enough. I have had to weld some extra metal on the handbrake leavers for the drums to allow me to get the handbrake working without having to pull it up 400 clicks in the lever!!!

Thank you. I'll have a go at it in a day or two.

Yes the handbrake cable is moving the linkages okay.
Andrew

Update:
I got everything connected in the end. A hammer came in useful and the cable adjuster is right at the very front. But the handbrake is the best it has ever been and regularly freeing and greasing the linkage pivot is a job that I should have started years ago. There are actually benefits of removing the hub.
As an aside, does anyone know where one can buy those wheel alignment screw in bolts?

Thanks,
Andrew

Back