General Musings of an Old Forumite

Currently reading:
General Musings of an Old Forumite

Howdy everyone:

Got to thinking about some of the posts on our forum, and came to the conclusion that one thing gets my goat more than anything else and that is when someone seeks advice from our forum members and NEVER come back to say how it went and whether the job was successful.

Does it really hurt to be magnanimous?

Ok, I'm having a moan, but does it hurt so much to say " Hey chaps, thanks for helping me sort out the problem when my gigglin pin wasn't megatating with my laffin shaft - or similar

Rant over - where's me tablets?

George

Howdy everyone:

Got to thinking about some of the posts on our forum, and came to the conclusion that one thing gets my goat more than anything else and that is when someone seeks advice from our forum members and NEVER come back to say how it went and whether the job was successful.

Ok, I'm having a moan, but does it hurt so much to say " Hey chaps, thanks for helping me sort out the problem when my gigglin pin wasn't megatating with my laffin shaft - or similar

George

Aye George, this does come up from time to time and it certainly pisses some off. Personally I’m not too bothered, but I’m still a grumpy old sod. Being able to string along words that makes sense, using proper words and not shortened versions, slang, is my bag. Making an effort at explaining a problem with at least a full stop or two or comma where needed. I’m no literal genius myself, and don’t expect anyone else to be.

A wee bit of effort goes o long way in my book. I’m also on the tablets to George :D
:D

What I've noticed of late is the fact that I'm getting a bit short of latitude toward other peoples sort comings.
I think I used to be more patient than I am of late. I know that I do not suffer fools gladly (and more than likely not at all) and as a case in point: only last weekend my friend Tony and I were in Gallows Point, Anglesey. We were assisting the new owner of my yacht to get the mast up and rigged. Part of the process involved servicing an outboard for use on the inflatable tender, (because his moorings were tidal he would require a means of reaching the boat) during the process of servicing the outboard we had to drain and clean the tank, check the plug for condition and operation and finally clean out the carb, before starting the motor. As many of you are aware, there is a very fine filter in the feed pipe from the tank to the carb at the point where the union meets the carb body.
Whilst I had this piece apart for inspection and cleaning all I got from the new owner was negative utterings about it not being worth all the effort and "it won't work anyway - look how old it is" After staying silent for several minutes whilst he ranted on, I couldn't stand anymore and told him where to go, in no uncertain terms. Expletives rained forth.
He, naturally, went on the defensive with "I was only saying, blah, blah, blah) but he couldn't help himself, he was soon back on the negative wavelength and I told him in my best Wolverhampton menacing manner: "if you don't shut the **** up, you can sort this lot out on your own"
He finally got the message and left me alone to get on with the job.
He, of course, is a perennial moaner. I found out later that everyone he works with will have nothing to do with him because of his pathological doom laden mutterings. No one can do anything right where he is concerned, but he won't try to do anything himself (I wonder why?)

Last edited:
Howdy everyone:

George
Yes I quite agree, but in my case I was so embarrassed...ok I'll come clean my bug would just all of a sudden stop rac diagnosed exselerator pedal sensor £ 100 later and in the garage to be fitted. Thought I'd cracked it two days later it did the same again .. but, I had my heater pack up and trying to find the connection blocks to it inadvertently took of what I thought was a block to the heater held tight by two small cable ties... need i say any more ☹ the heater was after all that a blasted fuse ( welded in to the tray) and a little pig to get out! Them fuse clips really are ridiculous to use ..so about £160 later and a pedal sensor I didn't need not to mention the engineer who fitted it told me how ludicrous it was to fit, when two small cable ties would have done the trick so, that's why I donate to the forum and all who sail in her!! God bless the forum 🙂👍👏 regards Ellbasteedo.

Back