Technical Bravo Electric Power Steering Problem

Currently reading:
Technical Bravo Electric Power Steering Problem

Mlloyd2000

I bought a 2009 bravo T-Jet 150 just over a year ago. It had a few issues which I sorted and then I put it through the MoT which it passed.

A few days later however the power steering stopped working. (No power assistance at all)

I checked all the usual. Battery voltage, earth straps etc. Nothing seemed to fix it and the 3 fault codes couldn’t be cleared from the ECU.

So I ordered a used column from eBay.

Once the used column was fitted the steering worked flawlessly. But I would still get the “have power steering checked” message and the light on when switching the ignition on.

The fault code the EPS ECU gave was C1103. You could clear the code. And drive the car perfectly without it coming back on until you switch the ignition off and back on. At which point the code and message would reappear.

I’ve used the car like that for a year. With no issues. But now the MoT is due. So it’s time to get rid of the error.

I tried a proxi alignment with mes which did nothing as the EPS ecu isn’t EOL so it doesn’t get written to. I have made sure that the correct car type is learnt. I have run the steering angle calibration. And still had the error.

So I assumed that the problem was that the used part I fitted had a different fiat part number (even tho the TSW number was the same) as the fiat number is listed in the ECU parameters.

With that in mind I ordered another used unit. With the correct fiat part No. which I fitted today. However with this one the exact same fault is still there. So it wasn’t the part no mismatch.

The last thing which it may be is that the ECU lists the “turn ratio” as invalid. (Using multiecuscan) my Delphi cars software has the same parameter listed as “steering angle sensor”.

The TSW 3 Power steering unit has a torque sensor built into the unit. Which provides the steering angle as well as the torque info for how much assistance is needed.

The steering angle can be read from the ECU. So there’s no fault with that sensor. And I don’t believe there is an external sensor.

The ABS ECU doesn’t show the steering angle (the field is just blank)

Does anybody know if the turn ratio being invalid is something out of the usual on MK2 bravos? Or does it say that cars which are working properly?

Any ideas of what else to check would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Thanks for that. But my understanding is that ‘C’ codes can mean different things from car to car and ECU to ECU. So that code on power steering doesn’t necessarily mean the same as on an ABS ECU?

my punto mk2 show the same symtoms: i can read read the torque and positions voltages in the steering ecu but no angle infos in degrees in the in the abs-ecu... does anybody have expierience what in the end was defectiv? the steering angle sensor was already replaceded and the eps-light starts now flashing after a short drive. with the old sensor it starts immediatly after ignition on. i did all the calibration with multiecuscan in the abs- and the steering-ecu. some ideas what could be wrong?

Hello. I replaced the steering column and I can't delete the warning light from the dashboard. Does anyone know what type of tester can be used to clear this error? Thanks. I bought a tester, I tried it but it doesn't see the steering module. This tester works with Multiecuscan 4.7 Thank you...I apologize if I posted in the wrong place:)

Attachments

• Tester.jpg
    Tester.jpg
    551.8 KB · Views: 37
I bought a 2009 bravo T-Jet 150 just over a year ago. It had a few issues which I sorted and then I put it through the MoT which it passed.

A few days later however the power steering stopped working. (No power assistance at all)

I checked all the usual. Battery voltage, earth straps etc. Nothing seemed to fix it and the 3 fault codes couldn’t be cleared from the ECU.

So I ordered a used column from eBay.

Once the used column was fitted the steering worked flawlessly. But I would still get the “have power steering checked” message and the light on when switching the ignition on.

The fault code the EPS ECU gave was C1103. You could clear the code. And drive the car perfectly without it coming back on until you switch the ignition off and back on. At which point the code and message would reappear.

I’ve used the car like that for a year. With no issues. But now the MoT is due. So it’s time to get rid of the error.

I tried a proxi alignment with mes which did nothing as the EPS ecu isn’t EOL so it doesn’t get written to. I have made sure that the correct car type is learnt. I have run the steering angle calibration. And still had the error.

So I assumed that the problem was that the used part I fitted had a different fiat part number (even tho the TSW number was the same) as the fiat number is listed in the ECU parameters.

With that in mind I ordered another used unit. With the correct fiat part No. which I fitted today. However with this one the exact same fault is still there. So it wasn’t the part no mismatch.

The last thing which it may be is that the ECU lists the “turn ratio” as invalid. (Using multiecuscan) my Delphi cars software has the same parameter listed as “steering angle sensor”.

The TSW 3 Power steering unit has a torque sensor built into the unit. Which provides the steering angle as well as the torque info for how much assistance is needed.

The steering angle can be read from the ECU. So there’s no fault with that sensor. And I don’t believe there is an external sensor.

The ABS ECU doesn’t show the steering angle (the field is just blank)

Does anybody know if the turn ratio being invalid is something out of the usual on MK2 bravos? Or does it say that cars which are working properly?

Any ideas of what else to check would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Did you get this sorted out???? I’m now in the same position

This is for the Panda but should still point people in the right direction

Knowing the code isn’t always that helpful to start with. A red light will either be

Torque sensor which could be low power or a faulty sensor

A power fault is more helpful as it will be power fault

Except for early EPS systems with dodgy relay solder joints I have never known anything other than a torque sensor fail and even then it’s very rare. Changing column probably causes more issues than it solved

You now have no option except read the code in case there is a software mismatch

I don’t have a Bravo and properly will not look back here too often

Bit late now but original post must have had two faults

I make the error code as

Circuito interruttore freno idraulico

Which is a brake switch

Hello. I replaced the steering column and I can't delete the warning light from the dashboard. Does anyone know what type of tester can be used to clear this error? Thanks. I bought a tester, I tried it but it doesn't see the steering module. This tester works with Multiecuscan 4.7 Thank you...I apologize if I posted in the wrong place:)
It’s what I use on my panda

According to multiECUscan website it should work from 2007 onwards

I have checked with the company that was trying to fix my steering unit.
They have told me this about the original unit.
I have spoken to the technicians and they have said the Fiat unit could not be repaired as it had an internal hardware failure on the unit causing a power steering motor fault that we were unable to fix.
So the unit is dead

I have checked with the company that was trying to fix my steering unit.
They have told me this about the original unit.
I have spoken to the technicians and they have said the Fiat unit could not be repaired as it had an internal hardware failure on the unit causing a power steering motor fault that we were unable to fix.
So the unit is dead
Sorry to hear you are still having problems

What were the symptoms you were having

As about the old unit is dead and cannot be fixed.
Fitted a second hand unit.
Power steering works fine but have the red wheel and power steering see owners hand book fault.

Attachments

• EF87F5D4-F48F-479A-B31B-114CF632AFE8.jpeg
    EF87F5D4-F48F-479A-B31B-114CF632AFE8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
  • A15B7514-6BC5-4C46-912D-5D53EEBD7898.jpeg
    A15B7514-6BC5-4C46-912D-5D53EEBD7898.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 50
  • 3ABF4C05-B3CF-4E2A-A514-80F77108B6EC.jpeg
    3ABF4C05-B3CF-4E2A-A514-80F77108B6EC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 64
  • 4AC817A3-EC37-4724-ABE2-40B8E0B1C016.jpeg
    4AC817A3-EC37-4724-ABE2-40B8E0B1C016.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 53
I have bought another Im waiting for it to turn up. This unit is from the same year model and engine size hopefully as others have said might plug and play with no faults.

I have bought another Im waiting for it to turn up. This unit is from the same year model and engine size hopefully as others have said might plug and play with no faults.
Do you still have the original

There should be a sticker on it

There’s at least two different

I thought 3 and 5 door
Pre and post 2007

However I could be wrong

Do you still have the original

There should be a sticker on it

There’s at least two different

I thought 3 and 5 door
Pre and post 2007

However I could be wrong
Bravo year 2008

Attachments

• 14A1191D-172E-4CA3-BBFB-E2ECE9F84951.jpeg
    14A1191D-172E-4CA3-BBFB-E2ECE9F84951.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 96
I wonder if the replacement has the same

I am guessing that if the part numbers are the same the software will be otherwise when it’s integrated via the canbus the response will not be as expected. I have no way of checking

Assuming the garage is correct with a motor fault you could have changed just the motor

Back