Punto (Mk2/2b) Weird petrol smell

Currently reading:
Punto (Mk2/2b) Weird petrol smell

Hi guys, hope your going well in this pandemic.

So here's a thing that i've been starting to pay atention. Can't remember if it was always like this.

I have the 188a5000 engine. Sometimes when the car is warm, if i'm out of the car, I smell unburned fuel. It's not constant, it is just for a second or two and then it goes away. I can smell it on the left side, near the tank only. I go under it while it is running and besides the exhaust fume smell mixed with the engine heat, I can't smell anything.

The weird thing is that it only happens when the engine is already warm. I inspect for leaks on my garage (which is quite cool) and under the car. Nothing.

Is it just me or something else is going on?

I'll try to pay more attention on the next few days and see if I find something.

And no, I don't detect any differences on fuel consumption.

Thx so much in advance guys. And stay safe. :)

Hi guys, hope your going well in this pandemic.

So here's a thing that i've been starting to pay atention. Can't remember if it was always like this.

I have the 188a5000 engine. Sometimes when the car is warm, if i'm out of the car, I smell unburned fuel. It's not constant, it is just for a second or two and then it goes away. I can smell it on the left side, near the tank only. I go under it while it is running and besides the exhaust fume smell mixed with the engine heat, I can't smell anything.

The weird thing is that it only happens when the engine is already warm. I inspect for leaks on my garage (which is quite cool) and under the car. Nothing.

Is it just me or something else is going on?

I'll try to pay more attention on the next few days and see if I find something.

And no, I don't detect any differences on fuel consumption.

Thx so much in advance guys. And stay safe. :)

Check under the back seat. The petrol pump is under the large round plastic cover with 3 screws.

The system should be sealed apart from when the car is hot and then the petrol gas should vent to the front of the car and into the charcoal filter under the wheel arch.

Check under the back seat. The petrol pump is under the large round plastic cover with 3 screws.

The system should be sealed apart from when the car is hot and then the petrol gas should vent to the front of the car and into the charcoal filter under the wheel arch.

To be clear the tank should not vent out into the charcoal filter if the tank is cold. It vents out when the pressure of the petrol gas increases when the tank becomes hot. The tank should be shielded from the exhaust by a shiney aluminium? coated thin steel plate.

Like judderbar said, check under the back seat.
Remove the black cover.
I suspect you might have a leak on the fuel pump. I have the same version of Punto as you, and mine had a petrol leak in the pump body itself.

I suspect that is somewhat common in this model, because I saw a few ebay listing selling a fix kit for that exact problem.

Back