Fiat 500 2010 reg Airbag ECU

Currently reading:
Fiat 500 2010 reg Airbag ECU

wickerman15

Hello,

Please forgive me if this has been answered before. I'm sure it has but cannot find the answer. My Daughters Fiat 500 pop 2010 reg has the airbag warning light on and some other lights, fuel cutoff, stop start light.

Put it into a garage who recommended replacing the battery, this did not resolve the issues. Next another garage who said it's probably the Airbag ECU which does other things I'm lead to believe.

Rang Fiat dealer who quoted £800 plus to replace the ECU.

So found a company named crashdata.co.uk. I'm local to these so I wanted to know. Has anyone else used them? They don't offer removing the ECU as a service. Being all new to this can someone tell me/show me some pictures of where the ECU is on Fiat pop 500 and what the procedure is.

I've read you need to disconnect the battery for least an hour before doing this work. Any gotchas here. I'm Hesitant to do this myself but hopefully, someone has done it before and point me in the right direction.

Many thanks for your replies.

I don't think I specifically have one on the Airbag ECU although it features in many of the videos, so I'll give you a run down of how it's done and will add it to my list of future videos to do.

The ECU is located in the middle/front, behind the centre console. From the passenger side (UK left) get your head into the footwell right in the middle just before the bulkhead you will see there's a bit of carpet that will be covering two of the 3 bolts, just pull it back and you will see the ECU. It's about 5 inches square and depending on the age of the car, be either a metal silver top, or a black plastic top. It has 3 10mm bolts. The first two you can get to from here. Get a 10mm socket on it or a small spanner. Remove these 2 first. Then go round the other side. Remove the kick panel with 2 sizes of torq driver. When that comes off it will reveal the other side of the ECU. There are two power connections. Remove both of these by moving the little lever the opposite way which automatically ejects the plug from the ECU. Do this on both. Move these cables right out of the way as much as you can.

Now you're facing this side of the ECU, the other bolt is at the rear right hand edge. (When I say rear I mean the rear as you're looking at it but is actually nearest the bulkhead). It's a bit of pig to get to and you need a small socket set, again with a 10mm and you will pretty much have to do it by feel. Eventually, you'll get the bolt out with lots of swearing.

Before you do any of this, disconnct the battery earth terminal. You don't need to wait 10 minutes.

Once this last bolts comes out, remove the ECU from the passenger side.

When you put it back, don't worry about that third bolt, just do up the two easy ones the other side. You may find it easier to plug the electrical connections back in, before you bolt it down.

I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
Evening typecastboy,

Thanks so much for getting in touch. And for the detailed procedure. Hope to have a go at the weekend. Will keep you posted.

Best regards,

W.

Back