Technical A squeak at low speeds

Currently reading:
Technical A squeak at low speeds

Ever since I've had my B it has occasionally made a sort of squeaking noise when going along. After a few rides I think it seems to happen more at low speed over rough roads. I'm getting a bit annoyed by it so I thought I'd ask for opinions as to what it might be. This morning I strapped my camera to the side of the car and went for a ride. I've put a clip of one of the squeakier parts of the drive on YouTube. It's at its worst at about 15 seconds as I go past the telephone box.

https://youtu.be/1_RiQ9sSkfg

Any ideas welcome, thank you.

Are your suspension springs still in one piece?
Thought it could also be the soft top playing in its compartment, but after replaying the video, don't think it is.

Does it have sliding calliper's on the front? does the noise change if you touch the brakes?
if so could be them rattling on their pins.

Last edited:
Thank you both.

Are your suspension springs still in one piece?
Yes :), although they are slightly rusty and are due for replacement in the winter.
Does it have sliding calliper's on the front? does the noise change if you touch the brakes?
if so could be them rattling on their pins.
I'll try that when I take it out later this afternoon

A small update.

On a second test drive I took a sharp eared teenager who said it sounded more like it was coming from the back left and not the front left.

Using another spare teenager I had in the house I got him to bounce the car up and down by standing on the drivers side sill as I lay on the floor near the back wheel. I can now definitely say it is coming from somewhere around the suspension of the back left wheel but can't pin it more precisely.

The springs are the car are pretty rusty (down as an MOT advisory) and so a replacement of springs and shocks all round is on the list of future jobs. So they either get done soon which hopefully fixes the squeak or I learn to live with the squeak for the rest of the summer.

More urgently I need to get a fresh set of tyres as I've spotted that the current ones are between 9 and 13 years old and the advice I've seen is that they really should be replaced (alternative opinions welcomed) so the budget takes another hit.

My front tyres are 18 years old! Pirelli p6000s. The mot man was quite happy with them. He and his mate were discussing them saying they were the last ones made with natural rubber. They reckon a law will come to say they can't be older than 10 years. This law now applies to busses etc.

Back