Technical rebuilding a vg turbo 1.3 multijet 90bhp

Currently reading:
Technical rebuilding a vg turbo 1.3 multijet 90bhp

I am not posting pics here as the upload function only does 5 at a time and it takes ages, theres a lot of pics

when I got this car, the turbo was whiney, I got 10,000 miles out of it like that before the bearing finally gave up and it became a screech! that was in around august last year [2020]

at the time, I just needed another replacement to go straight on, so I bought used with the view that I would rebuild my original with a new core [subject to the housings being ok]

the used turbo i bought is passing oil though its bearings, that too has probably done 100k!

so over winter I stripped down my old unit, housings were good, as was the control actuator, all I needed to do was buy a new CHRA [centre part of turbo]

I finally got that sorted last week, I rebuilt the turbo today, I still have the oil drain pipe to fit but I have bought a slightly different one which I am waiting for.

anyway the pics, all with text descriptions are on my facebook page, its a public album so you dont need to have facey to view it

its here if you want a look: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10219911087473238&type=3

overall, easy to do. I will be fitting it back to the car in the next couple of weeks.

I know nothing about facebook..
But the 1st link worked ok for me

cheers, were you able to scroll through the pics and see the descriptions?

havent got the energy to do a full on guide on here, but as long as people can see the descriptions then they are halfway there.

many people think that fixing a turbo is for the very technical, but just changing the CHRA which contains the part that usually fails is easy, it was quite a few months between me stripping it down, then building it back up, just be careful, keep things clean, dont drop it!

I will do a similar album when I fit it to the car in the next week or so.

got it fitted yesterday, needed some adjustment on the control rod but its going well, no more blue smoke on load, new oil in before the change.

2021-06-14 14.27.07.jpg

2021-06-14 15.30.26.jpg

Back