Climaglass

Currently reading:
Climaglass

Carrot

Hi does anyone know what Climaglass is. I have just got a lovely new Panda 4x4 Cross and it has Climaglass in the side windows. The reason why I'm asking is that I need to know if it offers any extra UV protection over the normal toughened glass in other car side windows. I have skin cancer and have been told that I will need to fit a UV film over my side windows but I was wondering if Climaglass already does this. Over to you. Many thanks

Having looked at the available evidence its pretty clear that this is the tinted and coated glass with heat reflective properties. I can see nothing at all anywhere indicating any additional UV shielding properties, and don't think it has any.

The coatings I believe are applied to the inside surface of the glass and application of a UV shield to the outside should not cause any obvious problems.

I recommend you either contact Pilkington or a reputable windscreen supplier for information.

If you are still unsure the only other thing I can think of is to ask the AA or RAC or GEM. I can ask the GEM technical officer who seems able to get answers and ask on your behalf if you can't find the information required are still worried.

I was always told you cannot 'tan',or burn through 'CAR glass'

Is that not the case?

Plain glass cuts out some UV, so tanning is reduced. This is also why reactive sunglasses work poorly inside a car. Tinted glass cuts the UV more.

Some tanning still occurs, as anyone who drives a lot in summer will know, as thier right arm and hand tans more than the left. Unless you are a busy driving instructor, in which case, the left arm tans more.

Situations reversed for LHD countries.

Back