Technical Help! Distributor out of sync with motor (850 Sport Coupe)

Currently reading:
Technical Help! Distributor out of sync with motor (850 Sport Coupe)

theboycalledcrow

Hi all, I'm new here and this is my first post. Hoping the collective knowledge of this place will help me fix a really annoying problem I've been having.

The other day, I noticed my engine was leaking oil right where the distributor meets the block. I took the distributor out to clean both mating surfaces, then popped it back in and tightened up the retainer. Now the car doesn't want to start and sometimes even backfires when cranking. My car is a 1969 850 Sport Coupe with the 903cc engine and a Magneti Marelli S118AA distributor.

Any answer or advice you folks might have is helpful.

I've taken it out and put it back in a ton of times and can't get the car to start... I can confirm it has spark and fuel, but now I've pretty much killed my battery with all the failed attempts.

HT leads are in order (the plugs they go to are actually marked on my dizzy cap). Firing order is 1-3-4-2, right? I've checked and re-checked that all HT leads are sitting correctly and making good contact both with the cap and with the plugs/coil

Best approach is.

Take out spark plug nearest the back of the car No1.

turn the engine until the piston is at the top(you can look in and see it or very carefully feel with a small screw driver).

put a piece of pipe over the plug hole and blow into it, if you cannot blow in then its firing no1 or if you can blow then its firing no4.

turn the engine clockwise by 10mm(on the pulley)as viewed from the rear of the car.

now with the distributor out of the engine turn it until it is pointing to the required plug lead (plug no1 or 4 above) just as the points are about to open, then without turning the distributor shaft place it back in the engine onto the splined shaft and bolt it in with the plate.

charge your battery up and when ready try starting,

i hope this helps

Tim

Thanks all for the advice. I'm about to head on over to my garage with this new info and hopefully won't make a balls of it!

Quick and somewhat stupid question - what size socket / spanner do I need to make the engine turn?

Back