Tuning Quaife LSD

Currently reading:
Tuning Quaife LSD

yellowoscar

Has anyone had any experience rebuilding a cinquecento box with 500 internals, uprated syncros and a Quaife LSD?

I don't think you would need an lsd on a cinq!!!!
Is there such things as uprated synchros for that box? Mine's a bit crunchy.

Mine is producing enough power to justify one, I am told you can can install 500 modern cogs and syncros, which are stronger and have a better shift.

I have a turbo starlet with 200bhp and don't really feel the need for an lsd, but each to their own.

I guess anything is possible if you throw enough money at it. It. Is just swapping the bell housing from the cinq box into another box an option? That is often a cheaper way to go about it?

I'm in the process of building up a box with a quaife diff. Not changing the syncros though, never had an issue with them so never felt the need to upgrade them or replace them..
I guess if they're worn or the oil is crap it might affect the operation?

Not stripped down a newer 500 box, just loads of cinq/sei/punto boxes.

Enjoy the search for a bolted crownwheel

Well, I did it.
Fitted the my Quaife LSD equipped rebuilt gearbox today.
WOW!
I have done a lot of work to my Cinq and this has easily been the biggest upgrade yet.
The handling is amazing, it is very difficult to put into words, but it isn't just about taming wheelspin. It simply is planted, floor the throttle in any gear and it just tucks in and ploughs the line you are steering. Even in at motorway speeds the car changes lane with so much control.
Hard braking doesn't cause the car to search the road, following every dip or camber, just brakes totally neutrally.

If you are thinking of doing it, do it.

Good review(y)

I've only just fitted mine....and it's one from the original group buy. It'll probably be the same amount of time before I get to drive the car.

20210420_231352.jpg

Just to add, fitting the LSD is a massive upgrade, but changing all the engine mounts to polybush (although it vibrates on idle) is easily the best handling mod you can do.

Hi guys.
I fitted a TJET engine on my seicento, with a punto mk1 gearbox. Using my car only on trackdays I would to upgrade the transmission with a LSD or Quaife, something to help the power the pass through the wheel up to the road on turn .. because for now it’s pretty difficult, even it’s dry.
If someone had some information I’m really interesting to share it.
Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• 656EA127-535C-427C-A56A-03B7977CEE98.jpeg
    656EA127-535C-427C-A56A-03B7977CEE98.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • 1F85CFCB-BD74-4400-8E84-79E170E5257E.jpeg
    1F85CFCB-BD74-4400-8E84-79E170E5257E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
I have a turbo starlet with 200bhp and don't really feel the need for an lsd, but each to their own.

I guess anything is possible if you throw enough money at it. It. Is just swapping the bell housing from the cinq box into another box an option? That is often a cheaper way to go about it?

If you haven't ever driven a FWD car with an LSD, try it if you get the chance. As h2ypr, biggelmo and OP yellowoscar said above the transformation is huge, way beyond taming wheelspin.

And with 200bhp in a Starlet you will definitely do see huge difference.

It is not so much about wheelspin while accelerating in a straight line (where it can sometimes make the car more twitchy if there is uneven grip), it is about pulling the nose into the turn when applying power in a bend. That's my experience, in a Alfa 156, 2.5.

Not cheap, definitely, but ...

I have mixed view on LSDs from front wheel drive. I tried it on an overly power engine, around 320bhp, and cornering felt worse as you could get both wheels spinning with less steering control.

I'm sure on a track or drag strip it would be great, but on rough british roads then they kind of pull all over the place.

I would have thought that many of the issues were ‘torque steer’ related with unequal length driveshafts?
The only recent ones I’ve tried on road is the ‘trekking’ types of Fiat and Peugeot and they’re ‘geared for traction’ in slippy stuff rather than race. The older Alfa/Lancia/Fiat road cars I’ve tried with LSDs were just about getting off the line quickly with ‘limited’ effect on steering on-road. They certainly weren’t full on 131 Abarth or the Integrale
That’s obviously apart from all the 4x4s I own/owned

Last edited:
I tried it on an overly power engine, around 320bhp, and cornering felt worse as you could get both wheels spinning with less steering control.
surely, some self control of the right foot is in order :p

I would have thought that many of the issues were ‘torque steer’ related with unequal length driveshafts?
and the fact that the LSD will not split the torque equally between the shafts, as an open does, but it will apply more to the wheel that has more traction, I would call it Uncomanded Torque Vectoring :(

In my case, it is occasionally noticeable over potholes / bumps / wet patches etc when accelerating hard but not really an issue.

Back