Technical Changing the glow plugs (Punto 1.7 TD Mk1)

Currently reading:
Technical Changing the glow plugs (Punto 1.7 TD Mk1)

Navigata

Hi all,

I need to change the glow plugs on my Mk1 Punto 1.7 TD - is this easy to do? Do I need special tools? Anyone who would be willing to post a step by step?

Basically, I have to turn the engine over for a good 30 seconds on the starter motor since it has got so cold before it will even splutter into life, and then it kicks out a HUGE pile of crud!

She has done 89,000 miles and I think the last time she was serviced, they mentioned the glow plugs were on their way out.

All help apreciated :)

Ta!

easy mate you just need long skinny fingers and hands. took me about 20 mins. what you are describing happened to my punto i changed the glow plugs and it was great. good luck

I'd reccomend Bosch Duratherm glow plugs if you are keeping the car - dont scrap it with them still in like I have just done (DOH!)

These plugs have a quicker heatup phase and stay hotter longer to help smooth out the first couple of minutes of running. They also thin down towards the end - cheaper glow plugs stay same size and expand through use making them difficult to remove from the block.

I'd reccomend those Bosch plugs too, cost a fair bit, but they should last a good 5 year of total abuse, had em for a citroen zx (slow to start, not bust, so changed em anyway, and what a difference, idling was also improved, much smoother and consistant!!), worth the cash definatly.:)

Back